Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i'm thinking about purchasing shooting line/shooting tapers for distance fly casting. i currently use a basic weight-forward line, and was wondering if there is anymajor technique to shooting (other than letting the linesail through the eyes). anyone use shooting line? what type of line/tapers should i buy?

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
well, i might be asking too much

i can get about 40 feet w/o wind, but i usually use spinning reels on the flats trying to cover more ground

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
well said,

thanks for the input. i startedfly fishing about 2 months ago, andit's actually a lot of fun.i've caught a speck and a few ladyfish on fly and i've got to say i'm hooked.

·
Registered
2,030 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FlyGuy (10/12/2007)Hey there True King.

In response to your question about any specifictechniques for shooting more line, yes there is:

It's called "hauling" and it helps generate a large increase in line-shooting performance. There's a single as well as a double hauling technique depending on how much horsepower you need. It involves pulling your line backwards through the guides towards the reel during your back cast and again during your forward cast and it's really amazing what you can do once you get the hang of it. Here's a link to showing how it's done:
i currently use the double haul, it works well for getting the line to move

i probably won't end up buying shooting heads, i'll just stick with my current setup

1 - 4 of 4 Posts