Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i was hunting yesterday and I had a shoot a big 8 point .It was in a corn field .I was sitting in a stand on the edge of the field when the buck came out .Icould see the horns but not sure how far it was.I asked my buddy how far it was to the spot were the deer came out ,he said it was 600 yrds on the button.i am shooting a bar 270,130 silver tip bullet .I know that it's a long shoot but do yall think it can be done.I have seen this 3 times this year in the same spot.I just have knot taken a shoot yet.please give your opinion.

·
Registered
6,493 Posts
Hold your scope until you see a sliver (just a sliver) of light betwixt the horizontal recticle and the deer's back.

squeeze off a shot.

Did you miss? dammit

Diddee drop? You are a hero.

Hit or miss, at least you gave it .... a..... shot

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
3 times? sounds like you need to sight your rifle in at 600 yds.....and hope you dont have to shoot real close at one....if so shoot him open sighted!....

or you could move your stand to get within your shooting range!

·
Registered
394 Posts
if your dead on at 200 yards with the .270, then at 600 you will probably drop between 20-30". (you can look this up online for an exact drop) therefore, hold about a foot and half over the deer's back. this isn't even factoring in wind etc. any shot over 300 yards while in a stand is something serious. the drop once you get past 500 yards (with a 200 yard zero) becomes exponential.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
I agree with tiger but I would say if you do not have a BDC scope then hunting at that distance you should buy one. They are worth their weight in gold when shooting long distances. Good luck.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
the farmer will not let us put a stand in the field.so i have thought of that ,if you sit on the ground were he comes out you can not see him.i can move alittle bet closer but i do not think it will make a difference in the shot.I shot my rifle today and i was about half inch high at 200 yds.

·
Registered
543 Posts
With an average 130 grain load in .270, sighted in 1.5" high at 100 yards (dead on at 200 yards), your bullet drop will be approximately 70" (6 feet) at 600 yards. You'll need to aim 5 feet over the back of the deer. Also keep in mind the wind. A 5 mph crosswind will blow your bullet off by about 14" at 600 yards, while a 10 mph crosswind will blow it off by about 30" at 600 yards. A strong wind (20 mph) will blow it off by by about 60" (5 feet, or the length of the deer). Even if you get the range and holdover right, and hold steady and make a good shot, if you misjudge the wind by 5 mph you're looking at either a clean miss or a gut shot on a broadside deer.

My advice would be, if you haven't shoot and practiced a lot at 600 yards, don't try the shot. Most likely you'll clean miss. But worse, if you do hit it, it will likely not be where you want it.

Also, you better be dang close on your range estimation. If your gun is sighted in at 200 yards, you're bullet drop at 500 yards will be about 38". At 600 yards, you're looking at 66" of bullet drop. And at 700 yards you're looking at 103" of bullet drop. So, misjudging distance by as little as 25 yards can mean a miss or wounded deer.

·
Auburn Grad - 1999
3,548 Posts
Not with a BAR. I've never seen one group good enough to shoot confidently at 600yds. Get a good bolt action with a sub moa guarantee with a 16X scope or something.

·
Registered
771 Posts
SnapperSlapper is dead on. If you do not practice that shot it is not a high percentage shot at all. That said, I shot my 11 pnt at 540 yd's with a .270 on 01/06. I held the cross hair's just above the top of his rack on the <U>second</U> shot. I have regretted the shot every since. It was a deer I hunted for 2 month's and I could have wounded him and never found him. It was the luckiest, dumbest shot I ever took. But at that distance a .270 will blow out the opposite shoulder with authority. Use a gps and measure the distance because 600 yd's is a long fricken way's, andit might not be as far as you think.

·
Registered
107 Posts
i have a ruger m77 270 and i have my sights set at 100 yrds and i have to hold 7" above target to hit center and 35" for five hundred yards. bullet is a 140 gr. seirra with cci 250 primer and 69.9 h1000. if that helps.i also have the distance and elevation taped on my leupold scope.

·
Registered
1,101 Posts
mullet man (1/28/2010)the farmer will not let us put a stand in the field.so i have thought of that ,if you sit on the ground were he comes out you can not see him.i can move alittle bet closer but i do not think it will make a difference in the shot.I shot my rifle today and i was about half inch high at 200 yds.
I would get me a blanket to lay on, one to cover up with and get within my shooting rang for the shoot. You'll just look like a mound of dirt.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
well on the side were the deers comes out on into the corn field the farmer will not let us get very close to it .he calls it the beding place.so thats way i can not move any closer to the spot ,out of the hole corn field this is as close as i can get to the spot.I have sat in the middle of the corn field and it almost like they know that i am there.because you do not see anything.

·
Registered
184 Posts
Does the farmer always come out there and check where u are before the hunt, u should be able to get around that with a climber but that is if u dont wanna piss him off, if u can see horns from 600yds i would come up with somthing cause hes gotta be big

·
Registered
463 Posts
SUNDAY-FUNDAY (1/28/2010)if your dead on at 200 yards with the .270, then at 600 you will probably drop between 20-30". (you can look this up online for an exact drop) therefore, hold about a foot and half over the deer's back. this isn't even factoring in wind etc. any shot over 300 yards while in a stand is something serious. the drop once you get past 500 yards (with a 200 yard zero) becomes exponential.
No msg

·
Registered
415 Posts
Ihunted witha 7mm magnum with 140 gr bullets and sighted in at 100yds, I was 18" low at 350 yds. My dad hunted a spot from 900 yds with a 300 ultra mag, but he studied the loads and ballistics extensively. He got the approximate elevation corrections off a ballistic table and ultimately shot the gun at that range. We both shot competition for years and practiced this type shooting, and it's definately doable, but not easy. He shot 12 times from this spot and killed 11 deer. The only miss was a big buck... the day after he shot 3 does in 5min.

·
Banned
35 Posts
Corpsman (1/29/2010)I know where talking apples and oranges here, but check these guys out.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VX4aqmbaGIo[/quote]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That is Shawn Carlock -he's a gunsmith in idaho and the rifle is a rem 700 338edge [300rum neck up to 338] it shoots a 300gr sierra matchking bullet at about 2850ish fps.

The most important thing in longrange hunting is a scope that tracks well and a laser rangefinder -ballistic drop sheet [field proved]-then great wind reading skills -fine tuned handloads -quality rest/rear bag set up ,i could go on but you get the picture.

Shooting at 600yds without these things is a stunt someting no hunter should do .

I have been into longrange shooting since i was a teenager -50yr old now -it's all pretty much common sense stuff -and of coarse money.

I have two rifles that would make the shot providing there was no more than a ten mph breeze.

Go to www.longrangehunting.com and do a reading if you want to prepare yourself to be able to make a shot like this.

I'm ol mike there also ,good luck getting that big buck .-Mike:usaflag

1 - 20 of 23 Posts