Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are a few pictures from some of my recent trips. Today was really cool. We caught sheepsheads first and then decided to go look around in the gulf since it was so nice. We went 2 for 3 on cobia from my bay boat with no tower! One was small and we released the little guy unharmed, one was 40-45 lbs but I couldn't get him to eat, and the one we kept was about 30 lbs.

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Brad King (19/04/2010)Way to go Matt!!! Were the cobia on the bar??
Brad, I don't normally fish the bar when I'm in a tower, so I figured why fish it without one! lol! I was on a line about 300 yards or moreoff the bar going down the beach like I was in a big boat. It is pretty hard to see from behind the wheel of my little boat but once I got used to it I could see more than I thought. The conditions were great so that helped.

This is the funniest part.I had brought a ling rod with a jig just in case we saw a fish, but none of the three would eat it. So I got one of my inshore rods, a 7'6" American Rodsmith with a Quantum Catalyst 30 and 20# brand, put a 30# leader and a circle hook with the biggest shrimp I could fish out of the well. Both fish ate the crap out of that shrimp as soon as it hit the water. I didn't have it rigged up at first when we saw the biggest fish but I bet he would have jumped all over it too!

·
Registered
2,496 Posts
Nice. I guess I do have a shot without a tower. I'll have to get out there as soon as possible.

·
Registered
2,712 Posts
Goodness man....That's awesome and to re-rig then feed a dang shrimp????...anyone else told me that tale I would call BS....lol

You da man for sure Matt!

Jimmy

·
Registered
372 Posts
Nice work without the tower!! I had a personal first today, hooking up a double while soaking live pinners behind a chum bag out of Destin pass.(made of frozen menhaden from last summer). A 25 and 30# only one have anything in it's belly: two small pink crabs and a what looked like a rock shrimp about 4" long. I bet those fish would wanted those shrimps you where throwing.

good work with the light tackle!!

I don't have a tower either. Figured this was my best option with the overcast skies this morning.</p>

·
Registered
606 Posts
Great report the only cobia I ever caught inshore was on a live shrimp ! Congrats!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts