Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Coming to town the first week in August and thinking about getting a guide to go out for Sheepshead with my 2 boys.

How is the Sheepshead bite this time of year? Any good, would like to take them but not if its would be a waste of time if the timing just isn't right?

Thanks,

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Sheephead don't bite that good in warmer water. Plus they don't taste very good. Feb and March are the best time for sheephead.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Coming to town the first week in August and thinking about getting a guide to go out for Sheepshead with my 2 boys.

How is the Sheepshead bite this time of year? Any good, would like to take them but not if its would be a waste of time if the timing just isn't right?

Thanks,
If you can get a hold of some kayaks, the sheepshead fishing is EXCELLENT in August. It's also excellent right now. Here's a couple solid fish from three days ago.

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts

Thanks,
Here's a few from the beginning of September last year. The bite is just as good in August though, too. Tons of 6 to 8 pound fish around.

Attachments

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Sheepshead are everywhere year round. Back before everyone decided they were good to eat we would stick them with a pieces of sharpened re bar around pileing. But not the size in these photos.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
ThaFish - do you catch those around bridge pilings in the summer?
Yes, they are thick there the entire year, if you know where to target them & what type of bait to use. We found 8 in the 2.5-5 pound range a few days ago when we were out.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Nice pictures I didn't know sheephead spawned that early. Those pictured are full of Roe. Plus held out as far as your arms can stretch.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Nice pictures I didn't know sheephead spawned that early. Those pictured are full of Roe. Plus held out as far as your arms can stretch.
Those pictured are not full of roe. I would know, I cleaned them & ate them.

The two fish in the last photo are just under 7 pounds & 7 & a quarter pounds. Looking back, I think I could have held them a couple inches farther out.

Dammit.

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
Those pictured are not full of roe. I would know, I cleaned them & ate them.

The two fish in the last photo are just under 7 pounds & 7 & a quarter pounds. Looking back, I think I could have held them a couple inches farther out.

Dammit.
It just baffles me why so many supposed grown men on this forum act like children.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
It just baffles me why so many supposed grown men on this forum act like children.
It's the same four guys. Always has been. Boring lives I guess? Don't get me wrong, I get on here & stir up stuff on purpose sometimes, but the reactions from those few older dudes are just great!

·
Banned
3,774 Posts
No one stirs up the old locals more than me hands down but to call out a person who has poster as many fish as you is just nuts.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Dafish, by any chance are you running charters? I was catching sheephead in the 50s.those fish had roe or you caught them in 200 ft. Of water. And I am far from being bored.

·
Registered
969 Posts
ThaFish -- being a PB " part timer" I really enjoy your posts and reports. It amazes me how some people think there is only way to do something -- their way. Of course there are people who still believe in Unicorns , Bigfoot , the earth is flat and that manatees have been seen in Santa Rosa Sound !

You just please keep posting and I for one hope your arms get even longer !!

·
Registered
6,441 Posts
Hey Thafish, you have a PM.

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
Dafish, by any chance are you running charters? I was catching sheephead in the 50s.those fish had roe or you caught them in 200 ft. Of water. And I am far from being bored.
Haha, man I genuinely cannot tell if you're trolling me or not, but I can tell you with 1000% certainty that the two stud sheeps in that last photo were caught on September 17th last year, around 9AM. They were both caught off of the same structure in 8 feet of water, & neither of them had any roe in them.

I suppose the 6 & a half pound fish in my right hand in this photo, & the pair of five pound fish in my left hand, caught on November 14th last year near the same area, were also full of roe? :no:

Attachments

·
I'd Love to Catch a
3,915 Posts
ThaFish -- being a PB " part timer" I really enjoy your posts and reports. It amazes me how some people think there is only way to do something -- their way. Of course there are people who still believe in Unicorns , Bigfoot , the earth is flat and that manatees have been seen in Santa Rosa Sound !

You just please keep posting and I for one hope your arms get even longer !!
Haha, always nice to receive comments like that man! I'm really glad you enjoy my posts, I seriously appreciate it. I've been fishing most days still, but I haven't been posting anymore. Maybe I'll have to get back into that.

·
Registered
9,593 Posts
Yes I said those fish so I will eat crow and say that the one I seen with a bulge had roe. The guy was asking to catch sheephead in summer. They are hard to catch when water is warm. And they don't taste that good untill the water cools off in late fall and winter. I'm done

1 - 20 of 32 Posts