Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i decided to go navarre bridgethis afternoon to try to catch some sheepies. iwent two previous time with no luck. i was out therefrom 11am-to about 1:30pm. The bite was really on but also really hard to tell if there was even a bite because of the current. i was using live shrimp with a# 3 circle hook. i caught 4sheepie and a bunch of green cow looking fish. 2 sheepies were under size so i only kept 2.smallest one was 10 1/2 inches and the biggest one was 15 inches.

Attachments

·
Registered
433 Posts
Good job ! I caught a few over ther last week , saw a guy spear fishing that day near the foot of the big bridge he was comming up with one every shot he limited out in about 10 minutes

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i saw a guy bow fishing for sheepies about a week ago but i didnt see him get any before i left.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Nice catch,i may go look for some this week myself if the wind doesn't blow like they are predicting.:banghead Thanks for the report and pics.

·
Registered
1,778 Posts
Nice report and pics. MostpostsI've seenrecently on Navarre bridge sheepieshave them prevalent but real finicky - way to go.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Sweet report man.......I might have to weasle on over that way and try that bridge out myself.

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
Clay I'll go with ya.......I'll even hop my fat ass in the water with a fork and get me one of them bastards......now that would be something to see.......hahaha

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i know in about a month there will be so many thereyou can just ride up on a boat and wack them with a hammer. by the way how much do one of them spear guns cost?

·
eating tasty
3,783 Posts
scspecv22 (12/4/2007)i know in about a month there will be so many thereyou can just ride up on a boat and wack them with a hammer. by the way how much do one of them spear guns cost?
All you need for sheepshead is a pole spear, you can get one for 50 bucks or less. I would not mess with the hassle of a gun of sheepshead, you can usually swim right up to them and kill them with a pole spear.

·
Registered
82 Posts
I'm not sure why. Maybe they don't want us competing with or getting in the way of fisherman bound to the shore.

Anyway, here is an excerpt from the regulations:

You May NOT Spearfish (excluding bowhunting and gigging):

-- Effective July 1, 2001, Spearfishing of marine and freshwater species in freshwater is prohibited. Possesion of a spear gun in or on freshwater is also prohibited.

-- Within 100 yards of a public swimming beach, any commercial or public fishing pier, or any part of a bridge from which public fishing is allowed.

-- Within 100 feet of any part of a jetty that is above the surface of the sea--except for the last 500 yards of a jetty that extends more than 1,500 yards from the shoreline.

-- In Collier County and in Monroe County from Long Key north to the Dade County line.

-- For any fish for which spearing is expressly prohibited by law.

-- In any body of water under the jurisdiction of the Department of Environmental Protection, Division of Recreation and Parks. (Possession of spearfishing equipment is prohibited in these areas, unless it is unloaded and properly stored.) Fishermen who catch and/or sell fish harvested by spearing are subject to the same rules and limitations that other fishermen in the state are required to follow.

So if we can't spear at Navarre Bridge, are there any nearby spearable bridges that are holding sheepshead? I'd love to spear a few when I'm back for Christmas break.

Also, thanks for those of you who take time to write reports. It's always a great help when I come home and I know where the fish are and what to target.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
Technially, if you also read the definition of spearfishing and gigging, it is taking fish by any means that penetrates the fish with a sharp object, and bowfishing falls under that. I know there is oftewn several bowfishers on Bob Sikes when the sheeps are in, but I have never seen an exerpt from the regulations saying that bowfishing is not gigging or spearing.

Not that I care if people do bowfish from the bridge.

·
Registered
5,014 Posts
"try a size 1 owner"

Dang it Josh...I have, and every other hook. Stil can't figure out how the hell to catch a fish with a fishin pole. I'll try a size 57. 57" speargun!!!:letsdrink

Good thing spearin is legal in florida, or Joe Patties would get a whole lot a my money!

1 - 20 of 51 Posts