Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
I believe probably the end of this month would be a good time to start looking. I was thinking about this the other day.

I've stumbled across a few rodent-chewed-on sheds over the years but what are the chances of finding some when actually out looking for them ? Unless you've got a lot of bucks, doesn't seem like the chances would be very good.

·
Registered
771 Posts
A guy on my Okaloosa lease foundthe fresh shed of a nice 8 pnt. last week. We find quite a few every year on our plot's, but never this early. Usually by mid April they are dropping pretty good. Unfortunately that is when they are planting ourspring plot's so you have to be fast or they get plowed under.

·
Registered
144 Posts
I've found some nice sheds scouting for turkeys in mid March. I've never seen a buck with horns during turkey season. I've always thought that they started dropping them the 2nd week of March until the end of March where I hunt in South Alabama.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've never tried this but it should work great, always wanted too, but never had a place for it. For the ones with pipe feeders this will collect your sheds for you.

Take some field fence and bend it around your feeder and attach it to a couple of poles like in the drawing. It's got to be close enough for the buck's horns to rake the fence when they try to get at the feed. If they're loose enough they will fall right there at the feeder. You come by and just pick them up.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts