Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have launched from the beaches near the Navarre a few times this year staying within about 1/4 mile from shore, not fishing, just paddling around getting used to the Gulf, launching, and returning. I have seen a few small sharks up to about 4ft or 5ft in length. I believe a couple were blacktips, and not sure on the others
My question is have you had any bad experiences with sharks?
I'm ready to start fishing and go farther out into the Gulf, and just thought I'd ask.
Thanks in advance
Lee

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
Had a good size bull bump me after I pulled in a bonito. Stupid thing bled everywhere... The shark sniffed around for a minute and eased on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's kinda what I was concerned about...bringing in fish and attracting sharks.
Thanks for the info

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
I've seen 6-8ft bulls in 2ft of water on seagrass beds inshore. Being inshore or offshore doesn't matter to sharks. Remember that less then 10 people are killed by sharks world-wide every year and 40,000 are killed in car accidents just in the USA every year.

You're in FAR MORE danger while you're driving to the beach than anything you're doing when you get there as long as you wear your PFD and pay attention to what's around you.

Good luck,
Alex

·
Super Moderator
27,942 Posts
When you are in a yak in their environment, you are a bobber! hahaha don't worry bout them toothy critters!!!

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
I didn't say it was an issue. As long as you're not tying them off to the side of the yak you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks guys for the info and advice. I always wear my pfd and am really aware of my surroundings and situation. I'm sure I'll get used to everything, I just need to get on out there, be safe, and catch a few fish!
Thanks again

1 - 9 of 9 Posts