Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ive wanted to catch a shark for a while now, and couple years ago I bought some stuff for it, including a Penn Senator 113H2; however I dont have a kayak, so never caught anything because I couldnt cast that rod and reel combo out far enough. I think im going to invest in a new spinning reel, and I'm leaning toward a Penn Pursuit II 6000 8' combo. What size sharks could I get with this? We're going to be staying in the Destin West Resort at the end of this month. Do you guys have any advice on the best way to catch sharks? Like times, location, baits, etc. The hotel has access to both the Choctawhatchee Bay as well as the regular beach. Any advice would be awesome!
Thanks for your time,
Ryan

·
Registered
211 Posts
Bloody fish for bait like Bonita or hardtails work fine for me. I use long single stranded leader and normally 2-3 big hooks tied in a large bait. I use a large Sputnik weight on a swivel to try and hold the bait and the weight is on a swivel that can slide up and down the leader.

Bait placement is important. Past sandbars is what I want. Kayak or carry if you are brave. I like to get near an inlet where fish move when I can.....but there are so many sharks not sure that matters. I fish them at night off the beach and try to stay away from people as much as I can.

Your reel may or may not be enough. Hook a beast and they can spool you pretty fast. You should have a good bit of line out past the sand bars and need plenty on the spool to work with some larger ones. Be careful of getting frayed on the sandbars.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Everything choppinlow said was pretty much on point. Fresh bait is probably a little more important for you since you are limited in how far you can get your bait out. I would suggest you get a yak(or rent one), it will open up a world of fishing opportunities to you. as for the reel, I would suggest going with an 8000 for the extra line capacity. Load it 75% with 65 lb braid and then top it off with heavy(40-60lb) mono, this should give you enough line capacity to handle blacktips and bulls just fine. The jetties will probably be the most productive places with limited reach, fish the beach side on an outgoing tide. If you choose to fish the bay, find a channel. If you fish the west jetty, be gone by dark to avoid an $85 dollar fine. I think you can fish the east jetty at all hours, but don't quote me on that one. I know about the west jetty from personal experience lol

·
Registered
207 Posts
I don't know if it's enforced or what the penalties are, but Walton county passed an ordinance that bans shark fishing from the beach. It's a stupid rule and there's debate on whether or not city and county bans are legal, but just figured I'd let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
364 Posts
Old surfboard and a brass pair will allow you to hold bait between your knees and paddle out past the bar.

I'm smarter now than I used to be but seem to have less bravado. Attempt all my suggestions at your own risk.

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,630 Posts
Go to any bay or sound. White trout or most any fish under a balloon will get you a bite from a bull shark

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
Suggestions for shark fishing

Hello,

I'm going to Johnson beach for shark fishing tomorrow night. I would like some suggestion on bait to use. I would also like to catch a stingray, any idea what time they feed/what they eat? My setup is a 7 foot medium action ugly stick tiger rod with a penn 7500ss spinning reel.

Thank you for your time.

·
Freshwater Flounder
3,840 Posts
I don't know if it's enforced or what the penalties are, but Walton county passed an ordinance that bans shark fishing from the beach. It's a stupid rule and there's debate on whether or not city and county bans are legal, but just figured I'd let you know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Local shark fishermen don't rent beach condos ... or patronize beach restaurants and bars very much.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Find a beach where there are a few surfers, and give them a beer or a couple of dollars to take your "redfish" bait out for you. This only works until they watch you bring in a large shark, then they tend to get a little aggressive. :whistling:

·
Registered
340 Posts
Find a beach where there are a few surfers, and give them a beer or a couple of dollars to take your "redfish" bait out for you. This only works until they watch you bring in a large shark, then they tend to get a little aggressive. :whistling:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts