Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,
Im currently on CID and just went out and bought fishing gear to fish for shark. I hear theres a spot at NAS thats good, but im not sure. Do you know any places that are good for shark? Specifically bigger shark such as Bulls.

My set up is something along the lines of 150yds. of 80lb braided line, a 6 foot leader of 100lb mono with a 4 oz pyramid sinker and an 8/0 Circle hook. I also made 20 in Wire leaders to test out thats about 90 lbs.

Please help me?:) Thanks guys

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
Not sure about nas but 150 yards is hardly anything when it comes to a big shark. There is a big chance you will get spooled quickly. I would not ever use mono for sharks it gets cut like butter use a steel leader as long as the sharks you plan on targeting. 6 ft leader for a 6 foot shark but its hard to tell what size is gonna bite.

·
Registered
2,745 Posts
If you have or can get a kayak go off the beach and paddle the baits out. I usually go to portifino or fort pickens and have seen big sharks at both places. I usually fish Bob sikes and have seen some big sharks off of there but haven't seen them consistently.

·
Team Reel Bros
81 Posts
NAS sucks for sharks....

Kidding, it can be pretty "hot" during the day and at night. Anywhere between the USCG Station and the lighthouse has produced nice blacktip, spinner, sandbar, and bull sharks. Nearly every shark I've landed there has been with mullet. I am hesitant to ever drop shark bait past the buoys. NAS consistently produces sharks, black drum, rays and 40+ inch redfish. Rarely do I go home disappointed. Your setup is solid. However, lengthen your 20" leader about 4 feet and make it at least 180 lb braided wire... Have fun.

·
Registered
422 Posts
if you look on google earth, the channel just south of sherman cove offers some pretty sharking. Its deep and narrow so you cast into the channel easily. all you have to do is park to the east and walk along the beach. there is a bench with rod holders and a bait table that someone built. and generally no one will bother you even if you fish at night. as for the setup i would say you need a higher line capacity. from everyones inputon a recent thread i posted about sharking everyone seemed to agree on atleast 400-500yrds of line or even more if possible. and in the spot i mentioned there is a helluva current so if a big shark swims with the current youll be spooled in no time, considering you probably will cast 50yrds off your spool before he even eats it.

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hello all,
Im currently on CID and just went out and bought fishing gear to fish for shark. I hear theres a spot at NAS thats good, but im not sure. Do you know any places that are good for shark? Specifically bigger shark such as Bulls.

My set up is something along the lines of 150yds. of 80lb braided line, a 6 foot leader of 100lb mono with a 4 oz pyramid sinker and an 8/0 Circle hook. I also made 20 in Wire leaders to test out thats about 90 lbs.

Please help me?:) Thanks guys
Whats up 619 welcome to Florida I came out from the 916 (sacramento) about 2 months ago and have fished about 5 days a week since Im heading out to Bob sykes bridge tonight to try and hook a big bull shark or maybe a big bull red. theres a video of the one I landed this week on the pier and bridges report. (hot fishing spots page 65) If you need directions give me a call Im heading out there about 9 to the PCB side of the bridge 916 532 4521 Don

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hahaha thats funny Don! I use to live in the 916 in the city! ill definitely give you a call but chance are im not going until next weekend, but ill keep in touch bud.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How big and what kind of shark was that?? Is Pensacola Pier any good? Also I wanna go to a pier where its pretty normal to catch a good sized shark know any places? What bait do I use?

Picture of the type of sharks I caught off of Shelter Island pier next to Coronado Naval Base in San Diego, Ca

Attachments

·
Registered
639 Posts
go to the surf fishing reports on this forum and check out LOWPROFILE complete shark fishing lesson for this area right there

·
Registered
40 Posts
Never fished NAS so cant help you out there.

I have caught sharks all up and down the surf in FL,AL and TX and they are a blast. Chunks of ladyfish has been my top bait with mullet and stingray a close second. The techniques are pretty much the same everywhere I have fished. I reccomend you check out the TX shark fishing forum. Tons of good info there on how to target sharks in the Gulf.

I'm gonna add on that 150 yds of line sounds a little shy for sharks. I got some Penns that hold well over 300 yds. I have found that often is not enough especially if I am yaking my baits out.

I have had my spool right down to where I could see the metal under my line. I have never gotten spooled but the biggest shark I have ever landed was only about 5 ft. I chased him down the beach for better than a mile. He was running in the current and I couldnt stop him and even chasing him at pretty much a dead run I nearly got spooled.

I only run 3 ft of steel leader but that is just a choice. I have gotten tail whipped a few times. However, I have landed the vast majority of sharks I have gotten a good hook set on with three feet of wire. If I were real seroius and chasing big sharks in the 6 ft plus range I would follow the advice of using a longer leader.

Good luck out there.

Dave

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
Some of the biggest sharks I have ever caught were at NAS. My family and I stay at the cabins near the lighthouse every summer and we fish the beach right there consistantly while we are there.
Better to yak a bait out but you don't need to get that far out especially at night. But you will need at least 300 yards of line. If you can get a kayak or something to get a bait out I will be happy to loan you one of my shark rods. Since you are military I guess I can trust you. ;o) If you want to call me, I will give you some good tips and bring you a shark rod with some leaders ready to go. Thank you for your service!
Gary
850-619-3203

·
Registered
679 Posts
Hahaha thats funny Don! I use to live in the 916 in the city! ill definitely give you a call but chance are im not going until next weekend, but ill keep in touch bud.
The fishing is getting better every day. when ever your ready. Do you have a Kayak?

·
Registered
679 Posts
How big and what kind of shark was that?? Is Pensacola Pier any good? Also I wanna go to a pier where its pretty normal to catch a good sized shark know any places? What bait do I use?

Picture of the type of sharks I caught off of Shelter Island pier next to Coronado Naval Base in San Diego, Ca
that was a small bull shark between 5 and 6ft and about 100lbs and by far the best fight I have ever had. roughly 2hrs to land on light tackle. If you want to catch sharks off the pier try Navarre they allow shark fishing and a good chunk of bonita works great. cya soon D

·
The Tourist
2,273 Posts

that's a decent little smooth hound.

if you click my name and look at my past threads/reports you should be able to learn a few things. if you have questions just ask in a PM. I haven't fished NAS but I'm not against a weekend trip or an over nighter to Ft pickens.

this is my "intro" post. to get an idea of what i did in cali.
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f21/new-panhandle-pic-warning-140896/

·
Registered
679 Posts
that's a decent little smooth hound.

if you click my name and look at my past threads/reports you should be able to learn a few things. if you have questions just ask in a PM. I haven't fished NAS but I'm not against a weekend trip or an over nighter to Ft pickens.

this is my "intro" post. to get an idea of what i did in cali.
http://www.pensacolafishingforum.com/f21/new-panhandle-pic-warning-140896/
I have fished from Navarre to chickenbone beach but I have yet to fish ft pickens. Lets go!!!! I have my cab over on my truck with a full kitchen and a kayak to run bait out. I hear there catching some nice blacktips out there. Just let me know when and we will try to get 619 into a big shark. thanks and be safe Ugly

·
Registered
422 Posts
hey ugly, im only in Pensacola every other weekend but id take you up n that offer to go if you don't mind a got a couple shark poles I haven't gent yet, call or text me 2084045412

1 - 20 of 44 Posts