Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3,263 Posts
I haven't really been shark fishing too much lately. Water is too cold for people to yak out and I've been targetting reds. Never know till ya try though. Good luck!

·
Registered
782 Posts
hey reelsmooth, you sure are purty in that picture! and no, there is not any in this range.....

just keep swimmin' around pickens pier.:poke

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Caught an est. 10-11 foot scalloped hammerhead a few weeks ago and have heard other reports of them around wrecks in the 100-150 foot depths. Usually you can still catch some large sharks offshore in the winter months including makos, hammerheads, and big sandbar sharks as well as other occasional species. I wouldn't devote a whole trip for them though because they are really fickle this time of year. Usually if we are bottomfishing for grouper or aj's we send one or two shark baits back under ballons. Bluefish are usually the best and easiest shark bait to catch this time of year.

·
Squid technician
10,484 Posts
Yeah scalloped hammerheads don't get much bigger than that. I'm not sure what the record scalloped hammerhead is but I'm sure everyone saw the record great hammerhead a couple years back( 1280 pounds, a little over 14 feet in length). I don't see any sense in killing a big hammerhead though. For one, a big hammerhead eats a lot of stingrays and I'm sure everyone hates those damn things and two, I ate it once and wasn't too impressed so I say let them go and take the blacktips and makos for the table.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts