Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've been fishing out on my boat for about a year now and have been having pretty regular success at all the various public wrecks I utilize out of Destin cathing AJ's, too many snapper, and the occasional grouper but have been wanting to learn the ins and outs of the Gulf offshore scene to include trolling, drift fishing, and better bottom fishing tactics (i.e. optimizing my use of my sounder cuz I suck at that in my opinion). If anyone's is willing to help out an ametuer dude like myself, please let me know. I'd be glad to have you come out with me as I try to get on the water at least once a week (weekends) or if I could tag along with you I can kick in on gas and beer. Im not trying to poach anyones numbers either, I'd just like to knock around a few ideas and share some knowledge so I can be as productive as some of the guys posting on this website (basically more productive than where I am now). Thanks in advance for the advice, this forum is always helpful cuz it seems to have a lot of good dudes on here.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Hello SoCal,

I too joined the forum a few years back to try and educate myself. Sadly, most posts are of the "look what I caught" or "nice catch" variety, which is great. Who doesn't love to celebrate a good catch? But largely, they are sparse of any useful information - so you got to pay attention to the details. Charter Boat guys aren't like this as much, they might guard their numbers with a small army, but they never hesitate to tell their brethren where approximately the fish might be - just listen to channel 68 on any given day 30 miles out. A bad charter isn't good for anyone's business down here - I'd make the same argument for fishing on private boats.

Anyways, on the forum we're also blessed to have folks like recess, jlw, jigging junkie, kenny mann, la jess and a couple of the others who never hesitate help out, often by PM. Those guys have really made a world of difference.

In any case, I'd say us on the Reel Unnecessary (me and Russian) are probably up for revising our status from amateur to double-A, but that's a far cry from being accused of knowing what we're doing. So, now that we have disclosed that, send a PM and we'll chat a bit to see if we can help you out. The fact that your handle is SoCal means that we'll probably get along just fine.

BTW, we fish out of Destin on a 27 Grady Express...

·
Super Moderator
5,970 Posts
Tell ya'll what, I'm no pro, but I have been offshore fishing a little bit. With the bluewater season drawing to an end, I usually offer to have people over and help with advise or help on rigging. Basics 101. I cover from marlin to trigger. Basically keeps me from getting bored on weekends I ain't fishing. Love to help you if possible. Just up in Crestview.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,550 Posts
What boat are you using and what electronics does it have on it? I will also be willing to help you out.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pushing a Cape Horn 17 thats only got a range of about 45 miles on a good day so i usually only bottom fish in about 100-150 ft of water at the public wrecks but recently started heading S-SW farther out of Destin with a couple extra gas cans looking for bluewater in hopes of targeting pelagics. I have an older Lowrance LMS 520c with a 200kw transom mount skimmer type transducer and I've been able to successfuly mark fish as far down as 276 ft but I use the the "fish symbol" setting and would like to get better at identifying fish in the form of the arch on the regular setting and being able to tell the difference between fish and scattered debris in the water column.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts