Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Caught two slot reds, two under slot, and a couple catfish. Had a bull swim right under me and in my panic I nearly hit him on the head with the bait, needless to say he didn't eat. Every catch was on live shrimp, I cannot seem to consistently reds/specks on the soft stuff.

Attachments

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got the live shrimp from Texaco in Niceville. They didn't have many left yesterday and there were 3 fellas walking in with buckets when I walked out so I'm sure they are out. Had my wife and paw in law with me so we were legal.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
Let me go on record as saying, you don't need live bait.

Just know how!

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I open to receiving tips on the soft plastics. I do catch with them, but it is so inconsistent that I chalk it up to just coming across a dumb fish every now and then.

·
Registered
764 Posts
I open to receiving tips on the soft plastics. I do catch with them, but it is so inconsistent that I chalk it up to just coming across a dumb fish every now and then.
It's all about the retrieve and time of day...sunrise this time of year trout and reds are shallow on the flats and will crush top water hard plastics. When the sun gets higher they head for the deeper pot holes in the flats and will hit sub surface paddle tails and x raps pretty good...just work the lures to find the right speed they like that day...usually a quick retrieve this time of year

·
Registered
764 Posts
All that being said, if the fish ain't there it doesnt matter what or how you fish, they ain't gonna bite. I run into this often in the yak where I dont have as much range, especially fishing choctawhatchee bay which doesnt seem to produce as well as Pensacola and Panama city area

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the tips! Do you still "jig" a spoon when you are retrieving it or is it just a steady reel in?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts