Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
79 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stopped by a local dealer a while back to buy some parts for my boat. I had a 2001 35 hp johnson outboard and was converting it from tiller to remote setup. When I was at the dealership all I was planning on buying was the electrical wiring harness that ran from the control box to the motor. When I got there it was a little more than quoted over the phone but that was no big deal. The problem came when the mechanic said that I needed to buy a tachometer also. He said that it would not run without a tach and that I had to buy one. The one he was trying to sell me was 275! I told him that I had never heard that before and that it ran fine without one when I was using the tiller handle. He then jumped all over me and said that he had over 30 years expierence and that then implied that I could screw up my boat if I wanted. I didnt purchase it and just got the harness like I had orginally intended.

My question is, have any of you heard somthing like this before. I am just wondering if maybe there is some truth to it and he got confused and was not trying to screw me over? I have setupthe boat since then and it runs great. I know that it is wise to have a tach, but if you dont run it wide open I think that it will do fine without one.

What are your opinions? Before I get jumped on, I am not trying to discredit a dealer nor will I use their name.

·
Registered
244 Posts
i've worked on quite a few motors and the best guess i have is he's full of shit. a tach isn't a required component on a 35 horse engine, especially when you've been running it with a tiller and just want to convert it over to remote steering. first off, who is he to "jump" a customer about what THE CUSTOMER WANTS...should have told him to screw off, too many places in this town that will go out of their way to make ya happy. secondly, sounds like he's depending on customers not knowing anything about their own boat. what your wondering is sounding correct, like he's trying todo ya like a 2 dollar hoe...good luck on that.

·
Registered
4,227 Posts
Good descision not buying the Tach. There were a hundred of other ways for him to approach you on that subject, he just chose to use the wrong one. We all have bad days at work but that was uncalled for.

What probably happened was they ordered the whole package with the Tach, and NOW he has to explain why aspare Tach is laying around the shop and no cash in the register.... Just a thought. Tight lines to ya, T

·
Registered
6,190 Posts

First off if he did in fact tell you that it would screw up your boat there is the clue of FOS. It might screw up the motor but not the boat, which I seriously doubt. I have converted engines from pull start to electric start (using homemade fabricated parts), and tiller to stick stearing and never had a problem. NO engine that size NEEDS (but nice to have) a Tach, that I know of. Now some of the larger newer engines might need the tach as it might be part of the wireing system, reasons being...I'm first not sure of and too lengthly to type.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts