Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
156 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I mentioned private booms in the first boom the bridge thread. I have now finished my first boom. It is 85 feet long and cost about $60. I say to all of you who have shoreline or boats in the water, it is advisable to protect them the best you can.

The core of the boom is "pool noodles" from Walmart (Sams, sportinggoods stores). I used alternate 4" and 3" noodles strung on a 3/8" polyproplene rope. The major issue was going to be how to secure the 3 mil vinly sheeting around the pool noodles. It turned out that a good high temp hot glue gun did the trick. You want the glue to just start to melt the sheeting and then put a block of wood, or a gloved hand on that glob of glue. It fuses the sheets together, and allows a good secure rap around the noodles. I obtained 50' x 3' roll of sheeting and cut it in half. This gave me 100 feet of sheeting. I have also two 10' 3/8" rebar which I have cut into 20 1 foot pieces. These will be glued into the sheathing to give some barrier just below the surface.

The boom will be stapled to a bulkhead on one side and to a dead tree on the bank on the other side, with Monel staples--this will allow for tidal variation. It is an area protected fairly well from the chop. I am putting an 18" bright red ball in the center ($2) Wal mart--in a woven net.

One question is won't the oil melt the sheeting. The answer is no--that oil comes in plastic bottles made of this same material. The pool noodles and the rope are also not going to melt or be deformed by the oil. We plan and use oil absorbant pads if necessary to get any oil or protect which is collected.

Also everyone along the waterfront, needs to document with photos what the area looks like now. Hopefully it will not change. I also took photos of our bayous's flowers, plants, birds and turtles. Unfortuantely some idiot called the alligator hunters to kill the 6 foot alligator we had nearby...Oh well, some folks just don't understand the balance of nature.

·
Registered
10,161 Posts
Good thinking on constructing that BUT I wouldn't deploy it. If someone runs into it you will be held liable for damages. Plus most likely by Monday or Tuesday the spill threat will be over for the most part. Lets just hope so anyway.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts