Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
johnsonbeachbum (1/3/2010)It is not my idea. Someone awhile back in the PNJ wrote a viewpoint opinion piece with the idea of an aquarium.
Maybe that is your Dad. Brilliant idea in my opinion.
I truely believe the only reason it is being ignored and/or shot down is because "the right people" wont be making money from such an idea.

How on earth could an aquarium or fish hatchery not fit into a maritime themed park?
It seems to me that it is more focused around baseball,touristy stores, and up scale housingthan anything else.

One of my friends in town is a lawyer and he brought up the lack of anything fishing related at the "Maritime" park during one of the meetingsand Judy Benson from UWF put a finger over her lips and shushed him (yeah, like you would do to a little kid). It's strange, but this town seems to be against anything fishing related.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Love the idea of a fish hatchery. Maine has a lobster hatchery just as you go into Acadia National Park.

It gives the young a better chance to survive. It would also be a good thing to add to the reef structures, so the

whole gulf front becomes a bastion for sea life. Flat bottom becomes a no fish zone, but if their are

continous (or close to continous) structure, the morality rate goes way down, and the recreational (dollar

producing) functions increase.

This stuff is really a no-brainer, but we still have to convience the powers that be, that going in this

direction will benefit, them, us, and the economy.

·
Registered
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
What about the idea of a fish hatchery?

Do you feel that this is a positive step towards maintaining reef fish levels? How do you feel about buiilding

reefs? On a large scale?

Lets hear your positive ideas!

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
heres a idea

how about instead of making the old sewer plant a public hatchery offer it to the private sector for aquaculture. it wouldnt cost tax payers anything and the fish produced would help take pressure off wild fish. it would create jobs. the location couldnt be better. seems like it would be a good investment for the patti's who happen to be right across the street.

just a idea

21 - 25 of 25 Posts