Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a last minute opportunity to spend next week on St. George Island.

I'm going to have to show up without gear, but I sure want to fish the surf. (I've surf fished quite a bit over the years -- mostly along the Outer Banks of NC -- but I've never been to your area.)

So, two quick bits of advice would be appreciated:

1. I need to get a rod, reel, and essentials. Obviously, I don't want/need top end stuff, as I'll just be leaving it at my host's when I leave. Any thoughts on where to go to be outfitted, and what's minimally necessary?

2. What kind of rigs, bait, lures...whatever...should I be using this time of year, and what am I likely fishing for?

(By the way, the January weather won't bother me in the least. Compared to where I live it's going to feel like the Equator.)

I sure appreciate any thoughts you have.

(And if y'all ever want to come west to fish for trout, I'll return the favor.)

Thanks.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Cant really say from experience for st George, but i do alot of fishing from the beach on the gulf and if you just wanna get away cheap hit up walmart pick up a coupe cheap poles and some pompano rigs couple pyramid weights to match. I never fish with lures on the beach side but there are guys around here that do it with great success. also pole holders, a cooler and a chair. As for bait use whatever the bait shop has. I ha good luck with fresh dead shrimp peeled and cut up in to small pieces.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Good job Wyoming! Glad to hear your efforts paid off. Those WY trout taste better but I bet that big drum was a good fight. What did you end up getting gear wise?

·
Registered
336 Posts
Keep us updated! I spent some time in Arapahoe and Gillette this summer, have a chance to go back and fish the wind river through the canyon but really liking salt fishing for now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts