Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9,209 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Beginning to see some sign the bucks are getting restless. Starting to show up on cameras in the area does frequent. I believe it is too early for the rut but the bucks seem to be doing "walk bys" at feeders and green fields.

Anyone else seeing strange bucks coming by?

·
Super Moderator
28,626 Posts
Yepper...had a couple I have never seen, but only 1 shooter!!!

·
Weekend Warrior
166 Posts
Have some friends hunting near Union springs said one of they're hunters shot one chasing today. And another guy saw a buck chasing. I had an awesome batcholer group on camera last week at a feeder in north okaloosa and lots of new scrapes

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
The one killed last night was rubbing some saplings. His tarsals were clean and didn't even smell yet. Still think mlk day is the kick off.

somewhere in a tree

·
Registered
6,746 Posts
It was in my heading to blackwater post yesterday. My buddy killed a little 5 point I missed a little bobcat about 20 minutes earlier

somewhere in a tree

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
My dad had a little 4point chase a bunch of does off his plot, up toward the state line yesterday

·
Seafox 237 twin outboards
5,433 Posts
The scent is in the air this time of year. If you see a doe in mid January, good chance there is a buck of some sort not far behind. And usually behind that small buck, is big boy keeping his distance, waiting for that right moment. They don't get big by being stupid. Most big bucks have all been shot at a time or two before during their life.
So they learn what's up by 4-5 years old

·
PFF Official Referee
5,244 Posts
The one killed last night was rubbing some saplings. His tarsals were clean and didn't even smell yet. Still think mlk day is the kick off.

somewhere in a tree

The one I killed the other day was ready... I could smell him 20 yds fer I got to him....got about 6 lbs of neck roast off him maybe more

·
Registered
1,985 Posts
Our rut is always the first week of Feb, but we have seen more chasing here in Mid-January than we ever had. I shot my 9 last Friday chasing a doe, and one of members took an 8pt tonight running some does. It's on, fo' sho'.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts