Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our neighborhood keeps getting their cars hit.

We're looking at installing surveillance cameras. Normally not a big deal, but makes it a bit harder when you have to figure out a way to get power and internet to the camera without a good source.

How to people install neighborhood cameras for watching the street/entrance?

Any ideas? I know I could use a solar panel for power, but what about internet?

And please, for the love of God, we don't need lectures on locking doors. I'll go ahead and say it before the entire gang lines up to say it.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Called one company and they wanted $2,000 a year to set up and manage stand alone cameras.....not bad, til they said the $2,000/year was per camera. Lol

I laughed and hung up

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
I use the Ring system at my house. Works off of wireless and I bought the solar chargers for both camera's. I get notifications of movement if my dog so much as sneezes in the back yard.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I use the Ring system at my house. Works off of wireless and I bought the solar chargers for both camera's. I get notifications of movement if my dog so much as sneezes in the back yard.
Don't think ring system is viable.

Several of our neighbors have them and nothing went off.

Our houses have a front door that's recessed, so the ring will only see a very narrow portion of the road, and won't cover much of their own driveway.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Arlo are good for moving around areas that you typically can't run a poe camera to. Trees, poles, etc and being able to keep moving and adjusting angles to catch what you need.

·
Registered
1,465 Posts
I have the ARLO cameras and they do great. 100% wireless and great quality.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So it all depends on what you want. You can get stand alone cameras, like deer cameras, that don't need connection to the internet to work. Some cameras, have a small SD card that will record even if not connected to the internet as well. I can't remember if the Arlo has this option or not.

So if you don't need internet you can get a simple deer camera type system or if you do there are several different internet based ones out there. I have the Arlo system as well for the sheer fact that it's completely wireless and you can put it anywhere. It also has a 7 day icloud storage that is free.

So look at the area you want covered and see what options you want/need and then go from there.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So it all depends on what you want. You can get stand alone cameras, like deer cameras, that don't need connection to the internet to work. Some cameras, have a small SD card that will record even if not connected to the internet as well. I can't remember if the Arlo has this option or not.

So if you don't need internet you can get a simple deer camera type system or if you do there are several different internet based ones out there. I have the Arlo system as well for the sheer fact that it's completely wireless and you can put it anywhere. It also has a 7 day icloud storage that is free.

So look at the area you want covered and see what options you want/need and then go from there.
Would like something completely stand alone, that will automatically upload about a 3-7 days continuous loop of video. Would prefer continuous video...not just motion activated.

Will be calling arlo

·
Registered
25 Posts
Arlo doesn't do continuous loop, it's based on motion only and only records for a certain period of time. You do have options you can set, but I know it doesn't do continuous loop.

You can adjust the sensitivity on it, but then again have mine maxed out and it picks up the street from the front porch which is about 40ft away.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
9,330 Posts
You want a POE system (Power Over Ethernet) each camera you use cat 6 cable that carries the powahh to the camera, cat6 cable can be run 100 meters/ 320ft. Then you can put the DVR with a 2TB hard drive in side your home and use your internet to access it. You can spend 200 to 1500 depends on the resolution and how many cameras you want. I would get a 100ft spool of Cat6 and make my own cables for the correct length because the cables that come with it are crap cat 5 cables at best.

·
Registered
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
You want a POE system (Power Over Ethernet) each camera you use cat 6 cable that carries the powahh to the camera, cat6 cable can be run 100 meters/ 320ft. Then you can put the DVR with a 2TB hard drive in side your home and use your internet to access it. You can spend 200 to 1500 depends on the resolution and how many cameras you want. I would get a 100ft spool of Cat6 and make my own cables for the correct length because the cables that come with it are crap cat 5 cables at best.
Would have to run it in random people's houses then :/

·
Registered
8,809 Posts
Walmart.com

Night owl wired system

Pay a kid $50.00 to run the wire through your attic to corners of house or wherever you want a camera.

Plug in and start recording, no monthly charge.

Mount your DVR in a closet that you can lock.

Cheap, easy and secure

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
473 Posts
Can use a solar panel for power

Sure, but no camera manufacturers have the completely wire free cameras setup to do continuous loop at this point, they are all motion activated or you can view them remotely. Not to mention the amount of data you would be uploading constantly would require larger plans for whatever cellular carrier it uses. So yeah, you can power with solar - but there isn't a camera out there that I'm aware of that will do what you are wanting.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
This all day long, we are building and installing 12 outdoor cameras plus inside.
Record 24/7. We are going with Dahua cameras. Go to ipcamtalk.com and read read read. NO WiFi !

1 - 20 of 38 Posts