Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you use to secure your paddle when you're fishing? Do you use the clips, folding or ridged, bungy ect?

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
Just balance it on yer head!

All the paddle yaks I've owned had some sort of paddle holder on the side, usually a little bungee/hook type of deal. I would usually keep it across my lap if not at anchor. Keeps it easy if a situation arises where you need to move quickly, or for subtle one handed movements while fishing.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I use a paddle clip. It came on the heritage 14 angler. I used to have it on my lap. One time while I was fighting and stringing up a fish, I lost track of it and it floated away in heavy current. Good thing my buddy was there so I had to tie a rope to his kayak and paddle him back in. He really enjoyed the 1 mile paddle back in :laughing: Not saying it's something that happens often, but I was in an epic battle with a red and it just slid off while I wasn't paying attention.

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I do have a paddle leash I was just thinking about those times when you don't necessarily want a paddle in your hands.

·
Senior Yakker
2,765 Posts
I use a paddle clip. It came on the heritage 14 angler. I used to have it on my lap. One time while I was fighting and stringing up a fish, I lost track of it and it floated away in heavy current. Good thing my buddy was there so I had to tie a rope to his kayak and paddle him back in. He really enjoyed the 1 mile paddle back in :laughing: Not saying it's something that happens often, but I was in an epic battle with a red and it just slid off while I wasn't paying attention.
I've had a couple close calls just like that lol. I did pull a very stupid move one day on Wakulla River. I was rigging up a line with the paddle across my lap. My dumb ass went between two bridge pilings and snapped the paddle across my belly. Aside from the lesson learned, I was ridiculously lucky that day. It happened less than fifty yards from a kayak/canoe rental shop. They had nice paddles for $100 and I had just gotten my income tax. it turned out to be a great day. I got to paddle with manatees later on. First and only time I've done that...and right here in the panhandle!

·
Nuttin but Yak Fishin!!!
52 Posts
They float right??? So tie a leash to it and throw it behind you in the water.
I have a hobie and it has a bungie cord that I strap it under. You might could rig up something the same.
what kind of yak u got?

·
Blowhard extrordinair
2,271 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They float right??? So tie a leash to it and throw it behind you in the water.
I have a hobie and it has a bungie cord that I strap it under. You might could rig up something the same.
what kind of yak u got?
Old Town Caspian. It's pretty much a blue OK Scrambler Xl

·
Registered
94 Posts
Just clip a leash to a padeye. I can usually just sit it in my lap but if it does fall in, they float and are easily reachable.

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Definitely just keep it across the lap unless anchored. Then stowing it on the provided storage spot is better. If yours didn't come with one academy sells them and they are easy to install. They call them a taco I believe. Leash is a must especially if you will be fishing alone. I made all my leashes from old cell phone car chargers (the coiled ones), zip tie, marine heat shrink tube and a Velcro strap. On my rod leashes I uses cable keepers (designed for storing electrical cords available at Home Depot) instead of Velcro so I could release them quickly.

·
Registered
447 Posts
My Wilderness Tarpon has a bungee "X" with a roller on the bow of the Yak designed especially for sticking a paddle under. If I'm not going to use the paddle for awhile I use the side handle/bungee strap to secure my paddle to the side, but while fishing I usually just slide it under the "X" keeper on the bow.

I had it there the night I rolled my Yak at 3MB and the paddle was pretty much the only thing that stayed put!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts