Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i just got a bigger boat so i can run out a little bit further, so i'm trying to graduate from king mack and chikin dolphin to wahoo white marlin and so on. any secrets?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Fish the bottom contours ,find the bait, find the fish . Slow down and down size your baits, hooks,and leaders if you are targeting whites and sharpen hooks regularly. This time of the year more than regular Bait is key. Thats why the rigs pick up so good this time of the year they sense the cold weather coming and feed regularly. Most of the bait is migrating west . If targeting Wahoo pick up the pace a little and again find the bait. Rigs , contour, rips , temp changes, floating dabre, ect. focus on depths 250-600ft . And most of all go , you can not catch fish sitting home.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sure enough, i have actually been running the nipple and the edge and have hung two wahoo off of that big yo zuri bonita, was kinda surprised but had a blast. i'm thinking about running to the petronius or marathon jacket area, maybe elbow, spur. i have the numbers but dont know what to do

·
Registered
41 Posts
Do the same thing you have been doing , sounds like you have had some luck. Yozuri bonitos are a great lure for wahoo . you can use manns stretch 30,50 also try some islander ballyhoo combos . If you find where they are it really doesnt matter they will hit just about anything at times. Keep going you will learn something different every time out . Also take someone who knows a little more than you, and youwill learn different tactics..Im sure there are some guys on here that would love to go and share knowlege.......

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah i'm getting there, tryin to learn some tricks, and trying to upgradeking mack stuff to wahoo and what not.actually used an illander last week with ballyhoo. ran 3 flat off the back tryin to catch a white heard they were runnin this time of year, but got nothin, i guess you can runnem flat. even ran naked ballyhoo

4,058 Posts
i wouldnt waste your time with naked hoos unless you're at a rig. offer to take someone outwho honestly knows their shit on this forum (hint, there's not a whole lot)about bluewater fishing, and they'll teach you everything you need to know.

·
Registered
41 Posts
SHARKS, there have been a few hoos caught but I would focus in shallower for wahoo. there are several rigs nw of therein about 200-500ft that are pretty good right now.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Apparently Blue Hoo doesn't white marlin fish a whole lot, If your fishing the nipple area in the fall a naked ballyhoo is agreat bait, and tackle rep does know his stuff, thats all good advice.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
appreciate it. another question, when running illanders with ballyhoo, do you runnem flat with trolling weights or what

·
Registered
41 Posts
The rigs are very easy to find you can see them from patron or mp255 the hiltons chart has them listed .You can buy that at just about any tackle shop. I also like Naked Ballyhoo for whites or a little squid skirt over it. But Slow down I like it 5-6 knots 6/0 7/0 med shank SHARP hook small-medium Bally 100-150 lb leader.

·
Registered
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
gotcha, i sure appreciate it, i feel like an idiot asking these questions but i'm having to learn things step by step since i know noboby about the big water fishing, so i appreciate it.

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Yea use a number 64 rubberband and wrap it around the line then loop the band over the reel handle, make sure the line is in front of the handle so it doesn't catch, when a fish hits the band just breaks. It also gives a little bit of a dropback.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts