Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone DIY installed Sea Dek or Hydroturf on an aluminum boat (20ft) or are there any good installers in the area? I love my boat but it gets way too hot for the family during the summer and other coatings seems like they would way too much. Also, not sure whether to buy mat with adhesive already on it or apply my own with a brush or roller. Trying to get it ready before we get back. Also installing hydraulic steering and repainting.

·
Jaded Old Phart
5,748 Posts
SeaDek:
I wouldn't do the roll your own glue route, sounds like a big mess to clean up if you get it in a area that doesn't need to be covered.
You have to leave channels to let water drain, look at installed photos.

Go to their site and there's a list of certified installers. If you want to DIY it's not that bad but to get those beveled edges you're gonna need a router.
I just used a razor knife but was never happy with the radiuses when finished.

You have to get the surfaces clean, clean, clean. Think that's where the major complaints come from about the edges lifting, they didn't clean thoroughly.

However, all I've done is fiberglass boats. Ask SeaDek.

·
Super Moderator
28,151 Posts
It was an option when I signed up fer my sled, but was told its a PIA to clean....I opted to the sprayed in texture... You can talk to Shannon or anyone up at Andalusia Marine to see what it would run to install it in your sled though!

·
Registered
398 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
How hot does spray in get in the summer? Seems like the rubberized tuff coat type stuff would still get hot under the feet...

·
Super Moderator
28,151 Posts
How hot does spray in get in the summer? Seems like the rubberized tuff coat type stuff would still get hot under the feet...

I wear flops most the time on the boat, and not sure how the real heat will affect the skin....:D

·
Registered
54 Posts
Diverdon

Call Chris @ castaway Customs 1-573-979-3691
he does a great job and will come to your place and measure it, he does the install or you can do it yourself. I would let him do the install as the seadek has a 3M backing and sticks in place good. Here is a pic of my 1977 Formula he did and i love it.

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts