Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was doing some hard over steering maneuvering at a friends dock yesterday when the power assist pump under the console started loudly over-revving (My description). It's a Sea Star 17.2 system turning twin 200's. The pump would run like that for 20-30 secs then stop. As soon as I touched the steering wheel it would start again and repeat the process. After the 7, or 8 times of it doing this, the pump did start to alternate between the high revs and what sounded like about half the speed, with no difference in steeering force. Turning the ignition off stopped everything, but as soon as I keyed on it started again. I was at idle speed during all of this, and considered attempting the run back across the bay to get home, but being at a friends dock at the beach, I just put the boat in his lift. Any ideas on what is happening? I read the entire manual this morning and found nothing that helped me make a determination. It did describe a light on the unit that may indicate a problem. I could not see a light on the pump while looking yesterday, and the manual does not indicate where the light is. Anyone know where the light is on the unit? Also, any recommendations on the best place to take it for service to the steering system? Thanks in advance for any help on this.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Kenny! I could't locate any leaking fluid, Spoke to a tech at Seastar and he said it was almost definitely a coupler. I can pull the motor out myself, but not sure how to check for that problem, Will it be obvious once the motor is separate fom the housing? Is there anyone in town that can service that unit? The nearest authorized service is in Kenner, La. Thanks again.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I've had the plastic coupling between the motor and pump break and that is exactly what my symptoms were. It will be obvious if this is the problem when you remove the motor. I just disconnected power to the assist motor until I received the part.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, pulled the motor (surprisingly easy) and the coupler was damaged on the valve body side to the point it wouldn't grip the shaft anymore. Finding the coupling hasn't been easy. Seems no one locally has one. DD, did you get one locally, or call an authorized service center?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts