Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of you guys own Sea Hunt boats. Are you happy with the ride, fit and finish, warranty service?
looking at a BX25FS.. what is the difference in that and the BX25BR?
I have a deposit on a new build but it is three years out and I want a bigger boat in the interim. I checked out a members Everglades 243 and I loved it but the price is a little more than I want to spend and it seemed the boat was deep on the hole shot and heavy. Ride was awesome. Wife also wants a little bigger boat for a smoother ride across the bay when it gets snotty. I would like to stay around 100 to 110k. TM and Power pole would be a big plus. Found a nice pathfinder for the same money. 馃 Perplexed鈥lackjack is another option but the price jumps a bit out of range for one nicely equipped.
I like the enclosure around the CC on the SH.

Wife really likes the Sea Hunt , but I know nothing about these boats. They are fairly new to the market, I believe.

I found a Cape Bay 23 with an upper station just a bit over budget but it鈥檚 not quite cushy enough for the wife.

Wheel Tire Boat trailer Watercraft Vehicle
Cloud Sky Vehicle Boat Wheel

Registered
FWIW, I know you asked about SH but I'll give you some my observations that may help you. The Sportsman 247 bays typically have a bigger bilge access hatch than most.
From what I've read online, one of it's best qualities is it's ride. I does well in the gulf chop for a bay boat.
My older model doesn't have a big fish box (I converted a rod locker) that I think the newer ones have. Rear live wells sux since the standpipe is in a notch and the bait piles up in that corner, I had to modify it to block the notch. It also doesn't have a pedestal base plate for front and rear fishing seats for bay fishing:(.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice boat, but I don鈥檛 want another rag top. Next has to be hardtop and 24鈥.
? Is fit and finish really that bad?? On a Sea Hunt.
I have never been onboard one, Well that I can remember鈥.

holy crap, I just looked back at the ad and the price, that is a helluva deal !

Registered
If this at emerald coast in Niceville that pathfinder was babied by the original owner and looks nice. Had a weird issue with the jack plate though and the lower cowling was cracked from hitting the transom when the motor trims up too far. That was a few weeks ago. They were supposed to swap it but not sure if they did yet or not.

Registered
Im a Sea Hunt owner: 225 Ultra. I live on the water and use my boat often (230 hours this year and still ticking). I had lots of small issues within the first few months that were warrantied. The fit and finish os terrible. The components they use are terrible, things like speaker wire, locks and latches, low quality stainless, pumps, etc. I鈥檝e replaced almost all of this stuff. There鈥檚 a goofy pin decal pin line I had them replace twice. Now I鈥檓 just tearing it off鈥e鈥檝e put some meat in the damn thing though鈥

Registered
Back in 2016 when I bought my sailfish I thought I was going to be buying a sea hunt. I loved the lines and the flare and just thought they were sexy boats. Until I walked and climbed all through one. I did not like the way they were laid out inside. Small boxes, small anchor locker and very pricey for what they were. Another thing I noticed was often you would see used but nearly new ones on the market. That kind of threw a red flag for me. People buying them but quickly getting rid of them.

Registered
All the boats in this tier will have their issues. I went with a sportsman as I thought it offered better value, and think they are better laid out than Sea Hunt. You absolutely cannot beat the bilge access of Sportsman. I honestly haven't heard alot of good about the quality of boats being build during the pandemic, but take that for what's it's worth.

Registered
I have tested a few Sea Hunts over the years for the magazines. They certainly don't scrimp on fiberglass and they ride well. Even their bay-style models have higher freeboard. Access to the bilge to do repairs/replacement is very difficult, from a friend who is a former owner. He's now running a Pathfinder.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Went and looked at both boats today. Pathfinder in Niceville was filthy and had a 24v Ulterra. Every storage hole was full of black mold. They had just replaced the part of the engine that the cowling latches to. I noticed a bit of grease in the seam where the foot attaches. Sales guy said They had to remove foot and power head to replace the part. The fuel water separator had rust on it. That tells me right there this boat didn鈥檛 get serviced regularly.

The Sea Hunt in Orange beach was a beauty of a boat. Two 12鈥 Garmins, 36v Terrova, Power pole, and a really nice glass enclosure around the helm. 2022 model that is really clean and the fit and finish looked nice to me. As far as components, the latches seemed stiff, but they didn鈥檛 seem inferior. Sales guy did say that it is not a foam filled hull. Just foam in a few areas. Likely gonna pass on that one as well. No hurry, still looking, may go look at a World Cat 235 again. The dealer in OB has Sea Cat boats, looked nice, but they use Mercury motors exclusively according to the sales guy. I will not buy one of those on any boat.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #18 ·

Vehicle Boat Watercraft Automotive design Steering wheel

Registered
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You鈥檙e missing out on passing on Mercs. I鈥檓 not a Merc fan at all but they own the outboard game right now. My boat would have a brand new Mercury on it if I didn鈥檛 get a steal on a used Yamaha. I鈥檇 trade it for a new Mercury in a heart beat.
Guess I鈥檒l just have to miss out. I have owned a Merc. And will never own another. I know a lot of the high end boutique builders use them but take a pass.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts