Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been notice alot of scrapes on my hunting land. is thisnormal this early in the year .I was think that ascrapeswas rutting behavior. ifi am wrong pleasecorrect me.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Yeah, it's common there. I've hunted in Jay and in Blackwater for the past 5 or 6 years and I do come accross some scrapes around this time of the year. I might be wrong, but from what I have seen scraping is most active in pre-rut time. There the rut won't be in full swing until late January or early February, but some does will come in heat earlier. Most active scrapes I have seen here are in December and Early January, after that it seems that they don't scrape as much. You'll still find some, just not as many and not as big.

Of course, that's just my experience. Others might have witnessed other things.

Are you from up there?

Chris.

·
Registered
556 Posts
I hunt north of you...got about 2000 acres about 10 miles southeast of Evergreen, AL (Northeast of Brewton), and there are scraps everywhere on my land right now. I think the bucks are just marking their territory and making a message post (so to speak). Not really rutting yet, but definitely active in mark their areas.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Hunted this past week in Lockhart,Al. and found two primary scrapes and a few mock scrapes.It is a little early but I blame global warming.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
It's a bad joke on the Deer's behalf, they are trying to make you think it is closer to Cobia season than it really is.

·
Registered
5,956 Posts
Nope, never.

I have had not enough of those days standing beside you and a few other people looking at the water. How many great times and conversations have you had doing the same.

Remember talking about Shadow and how he would one day show up "Postal" and take us all out. Things like that will stay with me forever.

·
Registered
993 Posts
Garbo (12/3/2007)Nope, never.

I have had not enough of those days standing beside you and a few other people looking at the water. How many great times and conversations have you had doing the same.

Remember talking about Shadow and how he would one day show up "Postal" and take us all out. Things like that will stay with me forever.
Many and many more.Went to the city pier and took in some last views before she is taken down.I have some photos of the Dan Russell when I was a little pier rat back in the early eighties,when my dad would drop me off at sunrise.Those are some fond memories,since his passing.I still believe shadow is very capable of showing up one day with that glare in his eye and a 357 magnum.:blownaway

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,547 Posts
The first signs of scrapes are territorrial scrapes not necessarily rutting scrapes.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Garbo (12/3/2007)Watch out some of your huntin buddys may be playin a trick on ya.
Garbo we got a little rain last nite so i know thay are being worked and if someone is playing with me thay have alot of free time

·
Registered
352 Posts
All I know is that if your seeing scrapes the Bucks are getting horny. They'll be looking (snifffing) for hot does. I highly reccomend trying out some quality doe piss. I can vouch for code blue, although expensive works great. Go out on the next full day you have to hunt, poor some out on a rag or whatever, drag to stand,and hang out in front you. Then wait and shoot.

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I've seen them as early as Oct here in NWF. sometimes I think it's just young eager bucks doing what they feel is right. You know, just tryin' to act all grown up because of their instincts. But I think that may also get the bigger boys kinda pissed off excited at times, ya know?

4,058 Posts
duckhuntinsailor (12/3/2007) Go out on the next full day you have to hunt, poor some out on a rag or whatever, drag to stand,and hang out in front you. Then wait and shoot.
something to think about-an animal's instinct, when following scent (such as a buck on a hot doe or a hounddog on a coon), is to follow from the weakest scent trail to the strongest. so dragging a dragrag or similar product TO your stand would make the deer walk AWAY from your spot altogether. next time, start your drag from your stand and then drag away from your stand, and you'll have much better success.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
The Blue Hoo (12/4/2007)
duckhuntinsailor (12/3/2007) Go out on the next full day you have to hunt, poor some out on a rag or whatever, drag to stand,and hang out in front you. Then wait and shoot.
something to think about-an animal's instinct, when following scent (such as a buck on a hot doe or a hounddog on a coon), is to follow from the weakest scent trail to the strongest. so dragging a dragrag or similar product TO your stand would make the deer walk AWAY from your spot altogether. next time, start your drag from your stand and then drag away from your stand, and you'll have much better success.
I agree. A couple of years ago I had the opportunity to watch a buck cross the trail of my drag rag and started trailing it back towards the truck.

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
Collard (12/4/2007)I was there that day Geronimo. I watched that ole buck hump that Dodge to death!
That there was funny. I don't care who you are.

I kind of half way expected him to be laid up in the shade underneath the truck like an old mangy stray dog.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts