Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Heard the radio exchange about a Scout that lost steering and bilge. The boat name is Uno Mas. Wondering if anyone knows the story? Guy on the radio was really calm and organized. Had 4 adults and 2 kids aboard. Another boat got them off the wreck and sounded like they saved a bunch of equipment. Last I heard was multiple reports of the capsized boat.

Good job for the boats that responded and salvaged the crew and gear.

·
Registered
336 Posts
It was my brother-in-law. He had two guys with him and my niece. The people on the boat were from Mississippi. He got as much stuff off their boat as he could.

·
Registered
159 Posts
It was my brother-in-law. He had two guys with him and my niece. The people on the boat were from Mississippi. He got as much stuff off their boat as he could.
We heard the exchange as well; the speaker was very calm and all parties we're professional. Glad everyone is safe. Has any more information been provided, as to he cause? It was not calm yesterday, but a 28’ Scout is a very capable most, and the skipper sounded calm and knowledgeable.

·
Roll Tide
292 Posts
Whoever called that in on the radio did a excellent job!! He was precise and calm. We listened to it and was glad they got off.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
My wife works in the ER at Gulf Breeze.
A family came in whose boat had capsized in Destin pass Friday.
The guy told her it was a new boat, Chapparal I believe and had less than 30 hours.

·
Registered
641 Posts
The guy told her it was a new boat, Chapparal I believe and had less than 30 hours.
There is lots of dredging ships and equipment in the destin pass right now. It forces all the boat traffic to use only the east side of the pass and has it super choppy...watched a small key west almost get swamped on the way in before he got lucky and found his way behind a party boat.

·
Registered
756 Posts
we came in Friday and saw it. The boat was capsized and hung up on the dredge mooring ball. The tug captain hailed us telling us he was hemmed up on the capsized boat. Asked if we could get a buoy on it as it was squatting and only the bow barely floating. With the outgoing tide and south wind, it was a total washout in the mouth. Because of the white wash, the boat was nearly invisible. There was nothing we could do. A few seconds later, a light blue Conch 31’ish about nailed it.
a true nightmare. There was nobody FWC or USCG near it. I’m blown away nobody was killed.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Do we have any idea what happened to cause these two boats to go down? The one in Destin looks a little overloaded and took a chop/wave in the rear but was there another issue? The unsinkable scout, what happened there in Orange Beach?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts