Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What are the lowest weaver style rings I can mount on a rem 700 for a 50mm scope with a 30mm tube.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Depends......
How thick is the base?
How long is the scope?
Short action or long action?

Typically it's going to be either medium or high depending on the above.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
What scope did you order?

Leupold PMR bases?

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Zeiss victory 4-16x50. Those maybe the bases not sure. What rings and bases could I use to mount it as low as possible.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
I don't know off the top of my head with out actually being able to measure the scope, bases, and rings.

You are likely going to need high PMR rings with that scope and the Leupold bases you have. It's fairly short scope at only 13.25" with a short tube so the objective lens is going to be right over the chamber area.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
Assuming that Zeiss's measurements are correct and the outside diameter of the tube at the objective lens is exactly 56mm it would make the measurement to the center of the scope at the objective lens 1.10236".

The measurement to the center of the front ring 30mm medium DNZ mounts is 1.105".

This would give you a clearance of .00264" at the receiver. Less than the thickness of a piece of notebook paper.

If you include the step down from the receiver to the barrel and the taper of the barrel this should give you a gap of less than 1/8 of an inch. This measurement would of course depend on the position of the scope, front to back, for eye relief but it would clear with a very small gap.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
It's a 50mm. Any chance at all that lows would work.
Yeah, the glass lens is a 50mm but the aluminum tube that surrounds the lens is 56mm outside diameter.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Assuming that Zeiss's measurements are correct and the outside diameter of the tube at the objective lens is exactly 56mm it would make the measurement to the center of the scope at the objective lens 1.10236".

The measurement to the center of the front ring 30mm medium DNZ mounts is 1.105".

This would give you a clearance of .00264" at the receiver. Less than the thickness of a piece of notebook paper.

If you include the step down from the receiver to the barrel and the taper of the barrel this should give you a gap of less than 1/8 of an inch. This measurement would of course depend on the position of the scope, front to back, for eye relief but it would clear with a very small gap.[/QUOTE

Gun enthusiast/mathematics grand master

1 - 20 of 20 Posts