Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is the second time it's happened too. Out fishing and come across a big school of specs. Problem is, everyone I catch is 10-14". I literally caught 40+ specs yesterday, and all were short. I was getting a hit almost every cast. I tried fishing the outer edge of where the school seemed to be, and that's where the 13-14" were, but casting a little outside that yielded no bites.

My question is are there usually bigger specs with that school? If so, where are they generally located in the school?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,841 Posts
Josh;

Here's my take on that issue. it doesn't apply in all cases exactly like this but as a rule of thumb (for me anyway).

1st: if catching just small specks, fish deeper in the same general area or conditions

2nd: I've found larger specs hanging nearby smaller schools, mainly because large specs. eat small specks. If they can eat a large croaker n mullet they can eat a small spec.

3: if most are males, there could be 1-2 lager females nearby if close to or near a spawning moon.

I have only ran into a school of large trout once. My son & I set in one spot using top water and caught probably 2 dozen specs, between 17-23" before the school spooked.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the insight. I slowly worked my way to the edge of the school looking for bigger ones. They got longer and fatter the closer to the edge, but they seemed to stop at 14". After that, nothing. I guess I can't complain though. Catching 40+ fish isn't necessarily a bad thing. These guys were unspookable too. Boat floated right in the center at one point and continued to catch them on all sides.

·
Registered
43 Posts
When I get into a big school of small guys like that, I normally put on a 1/2oz jig head and make the bait drop quicker on the outer edges. Pick a slot every now and then like that.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts