Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have no experience with side by sides so yall bear with me. I am looking for something 4 seater. My concerns are quality and resale. What is good and what do I stay away from?

Thanks

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hunting and trail riding. I want gas not battery.
I am not looking for something to mud bog but would like something capable of getting around in the woods and haul people/deer/stuff.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
Utility or sport? Honda is going to be the smoothest as far as driving, they are clutch and geared, no belt. The 1000 has plenty of power. The 700 are still the same machine it has been for 10 years.

Can am, yamaha, polaris are all belt driven, each with their own attributes.

Can am has power, loads and loads of power, comfy ride too

Polaris are pretty sporty fairly comfortable ride and one of the longest standing sxs.

Yamaha and kawasaki are more for sport and just riding not much work, except the mule.

If I were to buy another sxs right now would be a hard toss up between a Comander or a Pioneer, both 1000

Post up what you decide with your review. If going new, Check Halls Motorsport in Mobile. The website is easy to navigate and prices are fairly reasonable. If you decide Polaris and dont mind the drive, Perkins Polaris in Ms. Is proba ly the cheapest in the SE, but Forestry Supply in Andalusia got ptetty close when I bought my Ranger.

If you decide Can Am, Hattiesburg Cycle is the cheapest in the SE

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Utility or sport? Honda is going to be the smoothest as far as driving, they are clutch and geared, no belt. The 1000 has plenty of power. The 700 are still the same machine it has been for 10 years.

Can am, yamaha, polaris are all belt driven, each with their own attributes.

Can am has power, loads and loads of power, comfy ride too

Polaris are pretty sporty fairly comfortable ride and one of the longest standing sxs.

Yamaha and kawasaki are more for sport and just riding not much work, except the mule.

If I were to buy another sxs right now would be a hard toss up between a Comander or a Pioneer, both 1000

Post up what you decide with your review. If going new, Check Halls Motorsport in Mobile. The website is easy to navigate and prices are fairly reasonable. If you decide Polaris and dont mind the drive, Perkins Polaris in Ms. Is proba ly the cheapest in the SE, but Forestry Supply in Andalusia got ptetty close when I bought my Ranger.

If you decide Can Am, Hattiesburg Cycle is the cheapest in the SE
Thanks for the info this is what I was hoping to hear.

Are they all about the same on resale? Given the fact that work always seems to get in the way of things and I cant let anything sit that isn't being used, resale is important to me.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
In my opinion/experience looking over the last 10 years since the sxs market has really made a scene, they seem to be about the same, atleast for the top competitors, Honda, Polaris and Can am as for resale

·
Registered
9,680 Posts
I wouldn't buy from anyone without shopping every dealer within a reasonable driving distance.

I do that with all my bigger purchases. The bigger the item the further the reasonable driving distance becomes.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
495 Posts
My dad has a Polaris, my cousin a Can Am and me a Honda.

Biggest draw back on the Can Am is the heat it produces inside the cab because you sit straddled the engine. If you want speed and comforts like GPS and speed, this may be for you.
Polaris one of the most popular models has the most accessories and options for the 4 seater you are looking for. Biggest personal drawback for me is the belt drive. Delayed take offs until you get used to it and if you put them in a bind a lot, the clutches and belts have been know to go out. My dad's 500 is way too fast for my purposes and his at 75 but it does have better leg room than the Hondas.
Hondas have the true automatic transmission and shaft drive... no hesitation; drives like an automatic car. Little less leg room than the polaris and all come with a governor that limits speed to around 45MPH.
If you are looking for something you can use to do work on the farm and hunt out of, I'd recommend either the Honda or Polaris. My personal preference is Honda, a lot quieter.

Like others have said, shop around. Hattiesberg, MS and Alabaster, AL have the best deal out the door. Good luck!

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Finally getting around to doing something here and leaning more towards the Honda pioneer. I really don’t want to spend the money on a 1000 and am hopeful the 700 will do the job.
Why do y’all think? Is the 700 got enough @$$ to keep up?

Thanks

·
Registered
495 Posts
Honda Pioneer 700

Finally getting around to doing something here and leaning more towards the Honda pioneer. I really don’t want to spend the money on a 1000 and am hopeful the 700 will do the job.
Why do y’all think? Is the 700 got enough @$$ to keep up?

Thanks
I have the Honda Pioneer 700 two-eater and it works just fine for me. Recommend adding a winch, roof and some sort of windshield if you plan on using it for hunting.

I've add front fender flares, camo seat covers (water proof), LED light bar, and a koplin utility bar on the back with gun boot.

Attachments

·
Registered
971 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would go with a commander max if your wanting a 4 seater for work and still want to play in the mud. Honda is WAY behind in the sxs game.

https://can-am.brp.com/off-road/2019/commander.html

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
I am really looking for a hunting vehicle and I don't plan to intentionally be in the mud other than travelling to point a to b.

I have the Honda Pioneer 700 two-eater and it works just fine for me. Recommend adding a winch, roof and some sort of windshield if you plan on using it for hunting.

I've add front fender flares, camo seat covers (water proof), LED light bar, and a koplin utility bar on the back with gun boot.
I am definitely leaning hard in this direction. I think I am going to go look at one here and if I can get the price down, I will likely end up with it.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
It has been the same machine since the big red came out in 09. And uses the same engine and trans combo as the rincon and shares most of its internals since they came out in 03. It is a tried and true machine. I can assure you left in stock condition, same size tires and no modifications, it will last forever if maintained! Once or if you start doing your own service, be darn sure to use a JASO-MA approved oil. Those 3 speed trans rely on oil pressure through the valve body from the engine to shift. No belts, internal clutches and a tourqe convertor just like in your automatic car or truck. The shifts are amazingly smooth, no cvt to sling you forward qhen you let off the throttle. Really smooth riding machine!

·
Registered
495 Posts
Honda Pioneer

It has been the same machine since the big red came out in 09. And uses the same engine and trans combo as the rincon and shares most of its internals since they came out in 03. It is a tried and true machine. I can assure you left in stock condition, same size tires and no modifications, it will last forever if maintained! Once or if you start doing your own service, be darn sure to use a JASO-MA approved oil. Those 3 speed trans rely on oil pressure through the valve body from the engine to shift. No belts, internal clutches and a tourqe convertor just like in your automatic car or truck. The shifts are amazingly smooth, no cvt to sling you forward qhen you let off the throttle. Really smooth riding machine!
My 2017 Pioneer has the power steering and paddle shifters. The power steering is a convenience not a necessity, but I like it. I do not like the Honda windshield... it scratches way to easily for an off road vehicle and does not stop the rain at all. You may end up like most of us when installing the windshield you finally choose and use black caulking on the bottom to fill the seams. this will prevent water from running up the hood an into your lap.

If you are a hunter, it is difficult to load deer in the bed by yourself. I recommend a hitch mounted cargo rack that flips up. Rolling a 200lb buck up on the rack is a hell of a lot easier than lifting him into the bed.

·
Registered
11,080 Posts
My 2017 Pioneer has the power steering and paddle shifters. The power steering is a convenience not a necessity, but I like it. I do not like the Honda windshield... it scratches way to easily for an off road vehicle and does not stop the rain at all. You may end up like most of us when installing the windshield you finally choose and use black caulking on the bottom to fill the seams. this will prevent water from running up the hood an into your lap.

If you are a hunter, it is difficult to load deer in the bed by yourself. I recommend a hitch mounted cargo rack that flips up. Rolling a 200lb buck up on the rack is a hell of a lot easier than lifting him into the bed.
I thought it was Still a 3 speed transmission? I forgot they did get the Power Steering option in 15 when they put it on the foremans

1 - 20 of 31 Posts