Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,443 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’d like to go this year scalloping for the first time. I talked the wife in going with me and we will take the kayaks. I did a few searches on here to get some info. I’m thinking port st joes or just east of there. Any tips on where and when the best time to go? Thanks

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Season is just over a month long i think in PSJ and its late, usually means fewer scallops so they let them get bigger for harvest. they have a few kayak launches, i like to scout in the evening before dark they will swim to the top and pop the water. as of areas, 2-5ft of water, grass, with some potholes in it, not sure if google earth will help with the hurricane hitting recently. good luck, im wanting to go over to steinhatchee (sp) this year and scallop.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Check the scallop surveys that the state does. Port St. Joe is a blast if the scallops are there and the people aren't. DO NOT go on opening weekend. I hear Steinhatchee is great and not as crowded. Made sure to ice down the scallops real well when you catch them. This will make them open up and a lot easier cleaning. The Cove cabins on the peninsula are great. Close to where you want to scallop and behind Pig Island so your boat is protected from big water. Watch the tides, they are severe there.

·
Registered
806 Posts
We use to go to PSJ regularly. I have not been over there to scallop in years. I live close so it was always convenient but if I was driving from Pensacola area, I would go to Steinhatchee. Like above stated, check the surveys and go where they are plentiful. Opening week is nuts and be careful, i have had numerous close encounters with boats not paying attention to dive flags.

·
Registered
8,346 Posts
I haven’t been in many years. I used to go over there a lot when I lived in Panama City years ago. Is the limit still 40 scallops per person or whatever it was last year?
I miss the days of plentiful scallops at Fort McCree. Back in the 80s we used to jump in the water by 8:00 and be back at the house with 1.5 gallons shucked out by noon.
The limit was 1/2 gallon shucked per person.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I live close so it was always convenient but if I was driving from Pensacola area, I would go to Steinhatchee. [/QUOTE
I've got a good friend in Steinhatchee, says all the rain has made it near impossible to see a scallop in most places.

·
Registered
13,676 Posts
We go every Labor Day to port st joe, about 5 to 7 boats. We stay at the port in cottages downtown. Right across the street from the boat ramp. I rent a golf cart to zoom around town in for the weekend. We have a blast.

·
eating tasty
3,747 Posts
We go every Labor Day to port st joe, about 5 to 7 boats. We stay at the port in cottages downtown. Right across the street from the boat ramp. I rent a golf cart to zoom around town in for the weekend. We have a blast.

Tom, did those survive? Thinking of going next year.

·
Registered
1,474 Posts
Wife and I went to Crystal River area last year and it was amazing.
Headed back there in a few weeks.

What is the scalloping good around Crystal River? At the end of July we are going down Just north of there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,089 Posts
We are heading to Port St Joe Sep. 12th!!

Reactions: chaps

·
Registered
19 Posts
Too bad we don't have them here anymore. The year that the turning basin was dreaded was the Forestall was the last year I remember them being at Fort McCrae.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts