Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14,736 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I found a 56” saw blade that I want to decorate my driveway entrance with. I’ve used naval jelly and Ospho to kill/prevent rust. Are these best or is there something better?

·
Registered
3,474 Posts
I like to clean with CLR and use linseed oil. I’ve also use Gibbs lubricant to preserve. I Kinda like the rusty look. I have a blade similar to this I have at my driveway entrance

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,071 Posts
Dang, wish I had it. I'd get an artist to paint a harvest scene with a tractor, crops etc., or a beach scene with sea oats, dunes and seagulls. The possibilities are endless

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
A needle scaler and a wire wheel will clean it to bare metal in a hurry. Paint it or wrap it to protect it. I like the rusted look myself. Those were made with good steel. It'll probably be here long after we're gone even if you leave it rusty.

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,071 Posts
Not saying a needle scaler won't work, it will. But with those rusted thru holes you already have will only get bigger using a needle scaler, it's indiscriminate. So if you do use one, turn the air pressure down before needling it. If you're just wanting to remove the rust, use a cup wire brush on a hand grinder, or ospho it.

·
Registered
561 Posts
Just splash some diesel fuel or old motot oil on it every few months. Better mount it so it cant be stolen, somebody may like it more than you, especially up at your river house

·
Registered
9,706 Posts
Leave it like that cover it with clear epoxy. Mount it somewhere whare it cant cut a pet or person bumping into it. It would make a great table top full of nautical stuff. Here's one I made 25 years ago.

·
Super Moderator
28,497 Posts
Good find....I saw tons of these on the 127 yard sale. I'll get one sometime. Only rusty metal I brought home was a couple old steel tractor wheels! I'm gonna eventually make a bench outta em!

·
C-Hawk 245 Pilot House
5,168 Posts
Looks like an old insert type sawmill blade. Teeth are gone. I was running a small sawmill with one like that, one of the teeth came out and went through the roof. Dangerous machinery.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I found a 56” saw blade that I want to decorate my driveway entrance with. I’ve used naval jelly and Ospho to kill/prevent rust. Are these best or is there something better?
Several years ago I was getting an old hatch powder coated and at the powder coater was a motorcycle gas tank that was a hot rod/rat rod tank. He sanded it down to bare metal left it outside to rust then put clear powder coat on it. He said it will hold the patina forever. Since powder coating eliminates the oxygen aspect the rust won’t come back. Assuming you knock off the loose rust it would serve you a long time as decoration. Hopefully that doesn’t cost a lot.

·
Registered
7,301 Posts
If you already sealed it, I would coat it with Arm r Seal. I think you'll like it. Roll it on and forget it.
I like the bullet holes. Memories.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts