Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Fished 3mi last night. Beautiful weather, but the tide wasn't doing much. After catching a few skipjacks around the bridge, I went up into the small bayou on the Gulf Breeze side. There wasn't much of a moon or wind, so it was dead calm and quite dark out there. So, there I am, enjoying the silence of the night, when I feel like something closing in from behind my left side. Don't know if I heard it, or what, but I KNEW something was there. At that moment I turn my head slightly left and damn near had a heart attack! Right there...not an arm's length away, is a large white apparition rising from the water...and closing. "HOLY CRAP!...oh wait...it's a swan." This guy was not shy at ALL! Well, we hung out together for a little while. I'm pretty sure it was just looking for some hand-outs, but it was cool to have a little company out there. Eventually, we went our separate ways. Me to my truck, and the swan...who knows...prolly found somebody else to scare the crap out of.

Black Darkness White Leg Red

Swan Bird Water bird Ducks, geese and swans Waterfowl

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Thats funny, would have scared the crap out of me.

I hate those things though, one made me lose my Stradic Ci4 on a 24K Gold Stix after biting me in the ass while loading my kayak on top of my Jeep at the East River ramp. In my hustle to get away from that feathered demon I forgot to put my rod in my Jeep and drove off and left it. Ouch.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Finally proof! My girlfriend told me that I was hallucinating when I was alone and saw this guy floating around in the salt.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
lol. This just cracked me up. The way you told that one, made me feel like I was there. I would have fallen over, for sure. It's nice, though, that you made yourself a new fishing buddy. May the two of you have many more happy adventures together. ;)

·
Registered
144 Posts
Anyone MAN enough to admit it? We have all done silly things. OK.... This aint funny... Yea right. LOL. I was throwing a top lure for some trout and had a popping cork in the water behind me. The cork went down a couple times so I figured it was something small and started to retrieve my top plug but before retrieving it, my spool started screaming and after a small fight I pulled in a 27” red. Having completely forgotten about my plug, looked over my right shoulder to return to my casting rod and saw – what I thought – was a water moccasin or some other type of snake swimming towards me. On land I have no issues with any snakes since I can identify them immediately but I have seen – since I am in the military – everything from rattlesnakes to Cobras in the water and of course I panicked because it was only a few feet from the yak. I didn’t want to kill it so I back paddled backwards and sure enough, he was chasing me and this went on for a few minutes. As I went to raise my paddle and beat some sense into this “monster” I moved my fishing line and realized it was simply the head of my lure…. OK – give it to me!!!! LOL

·
Senior Yakker
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Anyone MAN enough to admit it? We have all done silly things. OK.... This aint funny... Yea right. LOL. I was throwing a top lure for some trout and had a popping cork in the water behind me. The cork went down a couple times so I figured it was something small and started to retrieve my top plug but before retrieving it, my spool started screaming and after a small fight I pulled in a 27” red. Having completely forgotten about my plug, looked over my right shoulder to return to my casting rod and saw – what I thought – was a water moccasin or some other type of snake swimming towards me. On land I have no issues with any snakes since I can identify them immediately but I have seen – since I am in the military – everything from rattlesnakes to Cobras in the water and of course I panicked because it was only a few feet from the yak. I didn’t want to kill it so I back paddled backwards and sure enough, he was chasing me and this went on for a few minutes. As I went to raise my paddle and beat some sense into this “monster” I moved my fishing line and realized it was simply the head of my lure…. OK – give it to me!!!! LOL
That's awesome! Never ran from an imaginary snake, but there was this big ass bug that landed on my hat one time. I swatted the hell out of it, only to find out (the hard way) that it was a big ol' mir-o-lure I had placed there earlier. Ouch!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.