Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will update as I go. Summer sausage will be 4 or 5 or so days away before its done!

But breakfast sausage be ready in a few hours!

JJ's deer and all the ingredients! Kitchen is converted for a few hours!

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
that's a badass setup, mr. jaster.
jack

Reactions: jaster

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
i just remembered, i got to run over to academy in prattville to get some casing.
jack

·
Registered
2,801 Posts
mr. jaster,
you commented 12 years ago (on that thread somebody resurrected the other day) about bps spices.
tell me more.where do you get it? you said it was cheaper?
jack

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Please, no Mr. Here, lol. I just use the LEM summer sausage mix and add a tad more than calls for. Factor in weight of cheese and jalapeños when figuring how much mix.

Trying some breakfast sausage before I grind it all the 2nd time, make sure it doesn't need more seasoning!!

·
Bearded Brotula
12,383 Posts
i just remembered, i got to run over to academy in prattville to get some casing.
jack
Last time I bought there, in a pinch, all they had was collagen casings. I hunt not far from you in Pintlala. Leggs seasoning is the way. Made in Calera, but you can't buy direct from them unless you buy a pallet. Southeastern Butcher Supply in Helena carries it though.

Sorry for the derail, Jason.

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
No Worries Fish. Our local Grocery Outlet sells it her in Milton, Fl. But piggly wiggly use to as well? Ill ship ya some if ya need it, best stuff imo to season Breakfast sausage.

19 lbs of Breakfast Sausage
15 lbs of Summer sausage

Ran 1 casing short, gotta grab a pack on way home tomorrow, lol.
Let it all rest and soak up some cure and seasoning, should be ready Wed or Thur for smoke. Then let it bloom over night and mmmmmmmm

Kitchen cleaned and re sanitized, think I am having breakfast for dinner, fresh sausage and all!

I will say this, if any processors tasted as good as mine usually does, I would be happy to pay for it. But knowing what I put in and how it was handled from feeding all year, harvesting, cleaning, aging, processing and the finished product, sure gives a sense of pride and satisfaction!

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Last time I bought there, in a pinch, all they had was collagen casings. I hunt not far from you in Pintlala. Leggs seasoning is the way. Made in Calera, but you can't buy direct from them unless you buy a pallet. Southeastern Butcher Supply in Helena carries it though.

Sorry for the derail, Jason.
Grocery Advantage in Cantonment carries Leggs sausage seasoning

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
it does look good. you working alone? buncha work for one person. my back would be killin me.
As I sit here hunched over nursing my back and type, indeed it is alot, hahaha. My oldest came by, about the time I was frying up those 3 pieces and offered to stay and help for a few pounds, lol. If he wasn't my boy, I woulda gave him a swift kick and sent him on my way, hahaha. But he did help me get the breakfast sausage bagged and in the freezer and was sure to take 6 lbs with him, lol

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well couldn't find another large casing, so had to chop the cheese up small and stuff the 19mm snack stick casings!!! Not gonna hurt my feelings, lol.

Its time fellas!

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Got the temporary blooming rack set up, smoke rollin. Waiting on 160 now!!!!!

·
Registered
11,000 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Done smoking, ice bath now before the bloom. Hope the temp drops another 10 degrees like it has the last 2 nights, sure would like to see 50° for 2 or 3 hours

·
Registered
3,434 Posts
Can you explain the bloom step, I've never made smoked sausage, does it ferment?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts