Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

· Registered
1,804 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As deer season has started I decided another thread was in order. Tomorrow I plan to stuff around 10lbs of cajun venison sausages. Since I don't have a true cold smoker, once stuffed I am going to dry and freeze immediately and smoke/cook as needed when ready to eat. I will likely lose some color and flavor but want to try this method.

I also plan to grind the remaining of last years deer and wild hog that has been taking up space in the freezer. Also prepping for some snack sticks, just got to wait on the casings to arrive. I have had zero luck finding casings locally. Farm Fresh in Robertsdale is the only place I have found, and only has a 32mm whole hank casing that makes around 150lbs and goes for $50-60.

Lastly, does anyone have a tried and true cajun/spicy recipe? I've found a few online that are mehhh at best. Just need a base list of ingredients to start with.

· Registered
7,789 Posts
need a pic of a natty lite can for perspective
jack

· Registered
7,789 Posts
those 32';s are also good for boudin. looks like you added the liver to the links. i have several cajun recipes for boudin, andouille, and chaurice which is creole. let me know. here is one andouille.
1 cup onion, diced
1 tablespoon lard or peanut oil
3 1/2 pounds venison, pork, beef or other meat
1 1/2 pounds pork belly or fatty shoulder
33 grams kosher salt, about 3 tablespoons
4 grams Instacure No. 1, about a heaping teaspoon
25 grams dry milk, about 1/3 cup (optional)
3 tablespoons minced fresh garlic
2 teaspoons cayenne
2 tablespoons sweet paprika
1/2 teaspoon clove
1/4 teaspoon allspice
2 teaspoons dried thyme
1 teaspoon powdered mustard
1/2 cup red wine or beer (put in fridge to keep it cold)
Hog casings
jack

· Registered
2,148 Posts
I originally got some bologna from a processor, it was delicious. Not your typical Oscar Mayer, but very much bologna. Saw the kit on the hi mountain website and tried it. It came out very good, not as much traditional bologna flavor as the processor but still very good. Makes a hell of a breakfast sandwich. If you have done summer sausage it’s nearly the same process.

· Registered
2,148 Posts
Those hotdogs were also a kit from the same company. They are an un-cured product. Also a crowd pleaser. However, to me they taste just like a brat and not very much like a traditional hotdog. We grill a lot of deer burgers and deer dogs over the summer on the boat. Definitely doing those again.

· Registered
7,789 Posts
i checked out that hi mountain website. they got 25% off sausage kits right now.. is it better than academy? this time of year, academy runs out of casings and sausage packets.
jack

· Registered
2,148 Posts
The kits are dummy proof. I like dummy proof. I get scatter brained sometimes trying to keep up with everything. If all the spices and cure is gone from the kit then I did it right. It is however the best summer sausage I’ve had.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts