Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

61 - 80 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Ok guys, We now know there is a problem; with inexperience, the popularity of the sport, learning the gulf ect.... Now we can discuss it forever or we can actually try and find a solution. So here goes: We have Surf report, swell info, and many other sources for information. How about someone or a group of someones with computer knowledge puts together a web page or even a phone line to call into for kayaking reports. All of us kayakers I believe check multiple sources prior to heading out, unfortunately things change quickly out there and with the growth of the sport in our area it might be a viable option. Think of all of the kayakers this could assist if we could get a semi accurate kayak weather report! My 2 cents.
Another problem I see is when inexperienced guys look others to join for safety for a gulf trip it seems as if only other inexperienced people are willing to join in. It might be better all around if some of the more experienced yakkers would be open to joining in for safety. PS I am 250miles from the coast but I am willing to help in anyway I can.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Come to think of it, we could post weather conditions and maybe even a cautionary scale for kayakers right here on the forum under kayak reports. We could even ask for its own topic under kayaks..... any volunteers???

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #64 (Edited)
theres no way to tell the wind direction is going to change when you're already a few miles offshore. I think you are blowing this out of proportion , it was neither of our first times and we did exactly what anyone else would've done experienced or not. you get tired , you head straight to shore....

I do see the issue with newbies coming out but I make every attempt to go out with newbies. im not a great fisherman since I've just started learning , but I am in good shape and I've paddled with 2 kayaks attached to my old prowler before and im not one to put anyone in danger. however when the wind direction , current , and waves all change when you are already out there , there is nothing you can do except go with it/head to shore and reevaluate. So im not sure what point you're trying to make. Are you just trying to flame or boost your ego because you're so experienced that this would never happen to you? Because im sure this happens to everyone atleast once or they learn from others. I'm not trying to pick a fight here but you don't seem to have any encouraging or insightful words , its all negative. Almost like youre trying to steer people away.

·
Registered
115 Posts
theres no way to tell the wind direction is going to change when you're already a few miles offshore. I think you are blowing this out of proportion , it was neither of our first times and we did exactly what anyone else would've done experienced or not. you get tired , you head straight to shore....
I don't believe anyone is saying you did anything wrong, please do not take it that way. I am sure that most of us have been caught out when conditions changed for the worse, and like you said, you head in. We are talking about people that aren't experienced going out and getting caught when conditions change, something that is bound to happen more and more often as popularity grows.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I am sure that if people can get me the information that they prefer to use (I use wunderground, swellinfo and surf-forecast) I could get something together on a single site. I will talk to my boss and see if I can't host it at work (work at one of the local Universities in IT...).

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I am sure that if people can get me the information that they prefer to use (I use wunderground, swellinfo and surf-forecast) I could get something together on a single site. I will talk to my boss and see if I can't host it at work (work at one of the local Universities in IT...).
Now that is what I am talking about... lets take a negative and turn it into a positive! Great idea Quackjn. Everyone lets be PROACTIVE not REACTIVE! This is a great start....lets see where it goes.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I don't believe anyone is saying you did anything wrong, please do not take it that way. I am sure that most of us have been caught out when conditions changed for the worse, and like you said, you head in. We are talking about people that aren't experienced going out and getting caught when conditions change, something that is bound to happen more and more often as popularity grows.
ok as im sure we all know its hard to interpret what people mean via text , so I did get a little offensive because I thought there was some passive aggressiveness there. However , if that is not the case I do apologize. I just hate with anything when more experienced people step on the unexperienced instead of guiding them and teaching them.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I understand, I am the same way ^^ I was posting saying that I was lucky to be in Mexico Beach fighting the wind and boats trolling for spanish while I was making bait drops or I would have been out there with you all... my 10' Moken doesn't fair well in wind :(

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
You can't tell me the condtions changed instantly Saturday. I was on the water Saturday, the wind blew from the same direction all day, the NW. Only it's instensity changed and again it was a gradual change.

New2thesport, if you were experienced you should have known a north wind would be rougher further out and stay in close. Experience, is just that, experience. And we'll you experienced it lol. And you are right, I'm at the point where I would not be in that situation. Heck the guys I fish with who are all extremely experienced offshore and have been doing it for years stayed high and dry all weekend despite a rare chance for them all to get to fish together and having a buddy come all the way from NOLA to fish who is also very experienced. They/we knew conditions were not safe.

The only time the "conditions changed on a dime" excuse is summer time pop up storms, other wise there is no excuse. You're mistake was you waited too long to decide to come back in. Don't be ashamed, you're safe and that's the important thing BUT don't act like your situation could not have been avoided as it easily could have.

As for experienced guys taking out new guys, it's hard to show people you're spots and techniques and not keep them secret or amongst just a small tight knit group and with as fast as it's growing it's getting VERY crowded LoL.

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
You can't tell me the condtions changed instantly Saturday. I was on the water Saturday, the wind blew from the same direction all day, the NW. Only it's instensity changed and again it was a gradual change.

New2thesport, if you were experienced you should have known a north wind would be rougher further out and stay in close. Experience, is just that, experience. And we'll you experienced it lol. And you are right, I'm at the point where I would not be in that situation. Heck the guys I fish with who are all extremely experienced offshore and have been doing it for years stayed high and dry all weekend despite a rare chance for them all to get to fish together and having a buddy come all the way from NOLA to fish who is also very experienced. They/we knew conditions were not safe.

The only time the "conditions changed on a dime" excuse is summer time pop up storms, other wise there is no excuse. You're mistake was you waited too long to decide to come back in. Don't be ashamed, you're safe and that's the important thing BUT don't act like your situation could not have been avoided as it easily could have.

As for experienced guys taking out new guys, it's hard to show people you're spots and techniques and not keep them secret or amongst just a small tight knit group and with as fast as it's growing it's getting VERY crowded LoL.
And here is where we have our conundrum " Experienced guys not giving away there spots or techniques to less experienced guys seeking knowledge...and in a perfect world they would respect the experienced guy and show discretion .

I will guarantee that if any experienced yakker takes the time to assist myself on the water I would not mark any spots w/o specific permission and I would not ask, it would have to be offered.
I have an addiction it is Kayak fishing in the gulf, I do not mind fishing...if I catch anything great if not I still spent a day on the water and that is more important for me, hence the reason I can guarantee that I have no interest in stealing or marking anyone else spots w/o expressed permission. I am knowledge seeker and I will glean it wherever I can but first hand is always preferable!!!. Damn I am way to passionate about this kayaking thing!!!!

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
Most new people aren't asking for spots , just someone to fish with and learn tips and tricks from. And I guess I was lucky enough last year to not have an issue with wind to realize that it could be potentially dangerous , that's one of those things that no seasoned veteran , such as yourself , never issued a warning about in my welcome post and many others that I've read as well. But correct me if im not mistaken but experienced people , means you've experienced it and have/should learn from your mistakes. Idk about you but everything else I've done has always been trial and error until you found what way worked best for you. But to be honest with you the wind wont keep me from going out again it'll just keep me from going so far and staying out so late , that's what I learned. Not to not fish because there's a wind.

·
Registered
1,286 Posts

Couldn't have said it better. I wanted to get the Outback bloody this weekend but with the temps dropping the way they did, I had a feeling that the north wind was going to be trouble.

As far as no one "wanting to share", the local kayak community hosts several clinics a year on rigging, techniques, emergency situations. I understand that these are only useful to an extent- at least until they can be applied. But most will give you a wealth of knowledge before even placing plastic to water.

No one is trying to deter anyone from the sport, simply make the newer people VERY aware of the dangers that can be associated with the sport. We don't have the convenience of having an outboard strapped to our backs to be able to outrun a storm. We literally have to be proactive and paying attention to everything our environment is telling us. Gradual changes are hard to detect, but being able to do that and make a conscious decision to cut the trip short can be the difference in a good/bad day.

Again, said reading comes with experience. On a larger vessel, I used to only pay attention to my surroundings enough to make last minute decisions to dodge a storm. Now; reading the rising swell, changing winds, cloud color, etc. is a non-stop activity. Myself and another forum member made a costly mistake and ended up further offshore than we expected due to a stiff NNE wind. Both of us made it back to shore fighting heat exhaustion and severely dehydrated. I also had a MRSA infection on my hip at the time (stupid me). We have all made mistakes and learned from them at one point or another. Just make sure you learn from them and don't think you are bullet proof because of the perseverance. :thumbup:

·
Registered
613 Posts
Sounds like an epic trip guys, glad everyone made it out okay.
Take it as a lesson learned that weather dictates objectives.
I've gone out once with a mild north wind only to have it get stronger about a mile out.
Lucky for me I could tack back to shore and only miss my launch point by a a few thousand feet and could drive my truck to pick up the yak.

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
For the record, I'm the one that was with BigRed. It doesn't matter if you've been warned about wind, I know both of us had. Until you've experienced it, you don't realize how serious it is. An east wind in our area is absolutely nothing to play with. I literally dug a hole in the sand and puked in it that day, ten feet away from a family of five. We paddled our asses off and made no ground. Eventually just headed to shore, and flipped a coin. BR lost so he walked to the truck (note: didn't know about the infection yet).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
central florida refugee
571 Posts
for what its worth i had a super fun morning out there saturday the wind was a little brisk so i kept it well within a mile from shore and kept my bow slightly pointed north while i trolled. i had a couple big knock downs and caught four fat bobo's within an hour of being out then the bite shut down so i packed it up and was back in munson by 11:30 not a bad 1st trip for the year :thumbup:

·
Registered
329 Posts
Discussion Starter #80
I apologize for my previous comments , there are alot of amazing people on here and i appreciate everything you guys have told me in any of my threads. My social skills aren't up to par. And I just don't understand the need for some people to humiliate someone.

61 - 80 of 80 Posts