Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well despite the wind we decided to go out and give inshore fishing a try Saturday in my made for offshore boat! Before getting the boat we stopped in Navarre for ice and some fiddler crabs from Half Hitch Tackle, thanks Dwayne! We then proceeded to lauch the boat at Hurlburt Marina, we were the second boat in the water ever after a late start about 8 am.

I know some areas around the Hurlburt Marina where the water is deep and there are rocks and oysters so we headed off to the first spot. Anchoring up was fun, stiff East breeze that had us swaying back and forth so we had to time our casts just right with the sway of the boat in towards where we wanted to fish. My goal on the first trip of the season was to let Anthony catchsome fish, if I caught something that would be great too but it wasn't my main focus.

Anthony's first castwas short so after no bite for a short timehereeled it in and cast out a second time, this time it was further and right in the middle of thearea I wanted him to hit! Knowing that he was sitting good now I turned to get my pole ready and before Icould do anything Anthonyyellsout"Dad,I got one!". Sure enough I turn around and he's bowed up on a nice fish. I tell him reel it in and grab the net and up comes a nice Redfish. Into the net and in the boat it goes with some hi fives! My first thought was be in the slot and sure enough it measuresupa perfect 21 inches! Into the coolerit went!

After that we tried to get another one with just a couple bites but no more fish. The wind was shifting to the SE and pushing usaway from where we wanted to fish. We decided to head to the Destin Bridge for some Sheephead. Well that was a mistake.

Despitestrong SEwinds and a strong incoming tied I decided to try and anchor up near the bridge. :dohYikes, that was a mistake. Not sure why but when we went to drop anchor mymotor stalled and wouldn't start back up right away. The boat went sideways moving towards the bridge and when the motor did fireagain it found the anchor rope that somehowended up under theboat, I'm guess thestrong currentdidn't let me aluminum anchor go straight down despite the chain I had on it. So now my anchor is set holding the boat by the outdrive about 5 feet from thecement pilons of the bridge. No way I can fire the engine, the rope is wrapped around the prop and outdrive, only about 3 turns but wrapped none the less!:banghead

Whoever the guy is that helped us in the twinengine Regulator at the Destin Bridge on Saturday you were awesome. After a few attempts to get a rope tous in the current and winds around the bridgehe managed to pullme forward to where my anchor rope came loose and I could reach back andunwrapfrom the prop and outdrive. When I finally pulled it free the other boats watching my circus act all letout a big cheer! I tried to get Mr. Regulator's name but with the windhowling I didn't hearit before he ran away from me! Thank you for your help. Hopefully I'll find you again and can thank you properly.

That was it for us, we pulledup on the beach in the harbor andjoined some and then headed down to the Boathouse for some good food and cold drinks!Anthony said one keep Redfishfor the day was goodenough after the Bridgefiasco and I had to agree with him.Sorry for the long report but at least you have the whole story of how our day went! Enjoy the pics!

Anthony with his fish!

The Redfish, some nice spots!

On the beach in Destin Harbor after the Bridge Fiasco with Friends. Anthony and I are in the red shirts on thefar left in the backrowand Maria and my little one Seth are on the far left in the front row!All in all it was a great day on the water despite the wind and bridge scare!

·
Registered
798 Posts
DANG. Sorry about your misfortuneat the Destin bridge,but great job with puttingyour boy on a nice fish. A day like that, you did better then 90% of the rest of us, including me.

·
Super Moderator
29,276 Posts
I don't think we should ever be on the same boat together brother!!!! It sounds like we have some of the same luck!!!:poke Glad Anthony at least caught a purty 1.....:letsdrink:letsdrink:letsdrink

·
Registered
778 Posts
That current at the Destin Bridge is brutal. I made the run down to Destin when I was breaking in my motor. Stopped to chew the fat with a guy fishing the bridge and the next thing you know I am putting some nice dings in the cowling of the yamaha. I am sure the guy probably thought "this guy shouldn't be operating a boat". [actually he would have been right].

·
Registered
3,702 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wrightackle (3/22/2010)That current at the Destin Bridge is brutal. I made the run down to Destin when I was breaking in my motor. Stopped to chew the fat with a guy fishing the bridge and the next thing you know I am putting some nice dings in the cowling of the yamaha. I am sure the guy probably thought "this guy shouldn't be operating a boat". [actually he would have been right].
I'm amazed that I escaped without a scratch on my boat! I've been driving boats for over 20 years and that current combined with the SE Winds almost got the best of me. I'm sure the guy driving the Regulator with twin screws that helped methought I shouldn't be driving a boat either. He seemed to want to get as far away from me fast as he could once he got his rope back :doh Before I try that again I'll have a bigger anchor that grabs quicker and another rope so I have the option to anchor further up currentor tie off on the down current side of the bridge, lessons were learned for sure on Saturday:banghead

Oh and Jason, no worries, I think we'd have a hell of a time fishing together!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Nice fish Anthony. Lol, sounds like ya'll had quite an adventure Saturday.....but you know, even though you only caught one fish, ya'll ended up with a great fishin' story, somethin that you'll tell over and over, exadurate alittle each time it's told, embellish on, and have great memories of the time you and your son spent together. My boys are grown, one at AUBURN UNIV., the other working 24/7, but, we made great memories like that with them, not doing much fishing, mostly camping at Ft. Pickens andTensaw River sandbars.

Enjoyed your story!

·
Registered
6,016 Posts
Dang Scott, and to think we talked of me fishing with you ???????? :) I might want to rethink that ! That wind was INCREDIBLE ! I can feel your pain, I went out Sat also and it was miserable ! Glad the boy got one, and the boat was undamaged.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Liked your report! :letsdrink And the smile on Anthony's face say's it all!! :bowdown Glad you bouth were ok as well as the boat!:toast Hope your next trip is a better 1! :usaflag The wend was so bad saterday it ran me off Jhonson's beach about an hour befor high tide! :hoppingmad

With just 1 Pomp!:banghead

14 1/2'' 2.2 bl

·
Registered
38 Posts
I SURE DON'T MIND A LONG REPORT WHEN KIDS ARE CATCHING FISH. SOUNDS LIKE A REAL INTERESTING DAY AND YOU MAY HAVE HELPED SOME OF US FROM HAVING A PROBLEM IN THE FUTURE CAUSE NOW WE KNOW WHAT NOT TO DO.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Nice Red, Enjoy while you can. They sure grow up fast! Seems like only yesterday mine was that age & now he has a daughter about that age. And don't feel bad...i have had nearly the same exact thing happen to me at the Destin bridge.

·
Banned
1,613 Posts
Wow, what a story, sometimes it takes a run ior 2 to get back in the groove. I had trouble maneuvering in some of the creeks I fished last weekend especially when that wind caught my T Top. Glad to hearyou got out without damage!

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Damn Scott Sorry you Had a Bad Day With The Boat , But Glad to Hear Everything Worked Out !!! and Glad You gotSome Fish!!!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts