Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here's a quick report for saturday offshore....headed out @ 8:00 15 miles offshore...picked up some live bait and dropped them down on the 30 wides...the AJ's were thick - we could stayed all day but got our 2 and headed for the edge. Started chumming in @ 200 feet of water and the BFT were boiling...threw out a fly line with a butterflied mackeral and it was on. Fun catching those on light spinning tackle. Again, could have stayed their and got all the BF we wanted but just kept 3 and headed back in. Beautiful day out there, seas not bad, just alot of fun.. The grouper seemed to elude us again..maybe next time!

·
Registered
778 Posts
Those were some pretty blackfins. I could kick myself for not going to the edge. We were fishing the reef balls around the Avocet and could see some boats on the edge. We had plenty of menhaden to chum with but I went back in hoping to catch some grouper and black snapper of which we caught neither. I always seem to make the wrong call. We ended up with jacks and triggers but it would have been a blast to get on the blackfins. Jake at daybreak told me how to bleed them out and it really makes a big difference in how the meat looks. Just slice them behind the pectoral fins and let them bleed out in the boat before icing them. Another thing you can do is mix some rock salt with your ice and it will really get them cold. Congratulations on your catch.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts