Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a map online thatI can type in the GPS coordinates to the area I huntand it show me a satelite image? I figured if anyone knew ya'll would. Thanks in advance. Mike

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
I don't know alot about it but it wont work with Google Earth. There are several different types of coordinates andGoogle uses, I think it's called "map datum" coordinates which are similar but not accurate on most handheld GPS units.I know that there is a formula to convert one to another, but I have never been able to make that work either. I'm sure someone will jump on here & explain it to both of us pretty quick. GREAT QUESTION! Somebody help

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
sorry if i gave false info....BUT 2 years ago i plugged in the numbers to my property and it was dead on!

maybe someone else will chime in!

·
Registered
3,697 Posts
you can go to msn live maps.. i think its called bing maps now. i dont know if you can do the gps coordinates thing but you can put in the town name and it has road names and stuff. i found my new club in like 5 mins.. super easy

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
You can select how lat and long are used in Google Earth.

Chances are, your settings are not matching what you're typing.

Go to "Tools" and select "Options." Should be there.

·
Registered
543 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks, Im going to try and download google earth and see. The issue is i hunt a lot on eglin so there is no towns or cross roads... Thanks for the help. If anyone else has a better anwser dont be scared! help us out! Thanks Mike

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
I stand corrected, my apologies, Google earth will work, but you have to go into the tools and change the default to the"degrees decimal minutes" option. At least I think it works, I'll checkit with my handheld shortly. That makes google earth an even morefantastic tool Thanks!

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
Try'n Hard (10/7/2009)I stand corrected, my apologies, Google earth will work, but you have to go into the tools and change the default to the"degrees decimal minutes" option. At least I think it works, I'll checkit with my handheld shortly. That makes google earth an even morefantastic tool Thanks!
thought so :letsdrink

·
Registered
14,618 Posts
Just tested it & it works great, thanks again. One word of caution, if you don't change the settings you can still type in the coordinates but your location on the map will be off... but only by about 200 yds. make sure you make the change in the tools tab that I have in my previous post above or the one Z listed earlier.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hey guys have any of you checked out "flashearth" .com, it is awesome. The images are very very clear, and the zoom is magnificent, i have been finding new spots to hunt on my property with it for several years now. Oh and you can put in GPScord also!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts