Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got a new one from someone for $237 and it has 300 yards of 65 lb braid..was that a good deal? what rod should i throw it on??

·
Super Moderator
13,344 Posts
A 14000 is awfully big for an inshore reel. However, it is ideal for cobia, and fly lining behind the boat for snapper/kings.

Sent from my LG G2X using Forum Runner

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,807 Posts
LoL a 14000 for inshore? Those reels are designed to tackle tuna and other big game, not trout.

Hell a 14000 is really too big for most fishing in the Gulf around here, let alone INSHORE.

You mean the 18000F? I have caught many big kings this year inshore with mine and its not much bigger then a 850 penn.

·
Super Moderator
13,344 Posts
You mean the 18000F? I have caught many big kings this year inshore with mine and its not much bigger then a 850 penn.
Actually a 14000 and 18000 are the exact same reel, the 18000 just has a deeper spool.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
Just because its the same size doesnt mean its built the same. The Gosa is far ahead the Penn SS in terms of drag and and rate of retrieve.

The Saragosa has over FOUR times the drag capabilities of the 850SS and of course a much faster ROT.

Not saying its not good for kings but really even for most kings its over kill.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
dude i didnt know that...you dont need to clown me because i bought the reel..i got it online and was hoping for something big..didnt know it is as big as yall say..guess ill just flip it when i get it if its that big..JEEEEEEEEEZ whats a good size for inshore then? a 10000?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
ps..there is big fish inshore to be caught..not just trout..i have old bass fishin rods for that..i can see using trout for some of the big reds around here.....

·
Super Moderator
13,344 Posts
dude i didnt know that...you dont need to clown me because i bought the reel..i got it online and was hoping for something big..didnt know it is as big as yall say..guess ill just flip it when i get it if its that big..JEEEEEEEEEZ whats a good size for inshore then? a 10000?
Not clowning on you at all. That's a badass reel that retails for $300 bucks. I prefer a 3000 size shimano for inshore.

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I wasn't clowning you at all. For inshore you don't need more then a 3000 size reel. Maybe a 5-6000 if youre targeting bull reds in the pass or around the bridges.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I use that size with 20lb braid and catch huge reds all the time. Ive also caught a 50+ pound black drum with them and tons of big 10+ pound sheephead.

·
Green Eggs And Ham
11,807 Posts
MFBT, you got a great reel. You could use it on big reds, kings and cobia in the bays. I love my 18000F, I will get one for the wife soon, she used it on a few kings and loved it.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts