Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a friend from out of the area that is looking to relocate here. He is looking at water front property and has seen a house in Santa Rosa Shore that he is interested in. Can anyone provide information about the canals that exit to the "sound"? How deep are they? Does a POA control the canals? Is there any silting issues where the canals exit into the "sound"? Can the canals be dreged? If so, does a POA take the lead?

Any information would be helpful. Thanks in advance for any response.

·
Registered
2,274 Posts
my understanding they have been trying to dredge the canals for years but have not completed the in depth survey of all the canals. Maybe someone has newer knowledge. Do your homework

·
Registered
449 Posts
They canals are not too shallow but it does depend on how much you need. The bay entrance is shallow and the most concerning. I stayed away from Santa Rosa Shores because of the Formosan Termites are really really bad in that area. Inspect well before purchase and get a good pest control guy.

·
Registered
1,299 Posts
I live across 98 in Polynesian Islands, also a canal neighborhood. The termites are bad nearly anywhere water front, get a termite bond (or take over the existing one) and get inspected every year. Our HOA handles the canal maintenance. Once deemed that maintenance needs to be done the HOA goes to the county for permits then a special MSBU tax is added to the residents. Santa Rosa shores is overall deeper than my side. There’s several very large boats over there. I’ve been in and out of their channel a couple hundred times in my 23cc. Things I would look for is a house on the East side of the road to enjoy summer evenings without roasting (house will block the sun in the backyard). A house as close to the sound as possible, cleaner water, and typically deeper in the low tides (especially winter). A good vinyl sea wall, definitely get it inspected. Good luck to your friend.

·
Super Moderator
12,721 Posts
I wouldn't worry about formosan termites, because they are bad everywhere these days. Some of the worst stuff I saw this year was in Molino/beulah.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

1 - 5 of 5 Posts