Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was running across Escambia Bay at what I thought was a pretty safe distance from the shoreline (I run a Hewes that drafts 10") and my shallow water alert on my Simrad went off and I was suddenly in less than two feet of water. Here is the screen shot showing it on my Navionics Chart using the Sonar Chart Live feature and the GPS coordinates are N30 25'34.9 W87 09'52.4 Just thought I would share this so someone with a deeper drafting boat doesn't run aground.

Attachments

·
Registered
35 Posts
Speaking of sand bars, I saw this guy run on this one yesterday afternoon coming into the ICW in wolf bay. Came to a rather abrupt stop. Everyone seemed okay and the Leo was able to pull him off after a good bit of tugging.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'm seeing
Speed Over Ground-21.6
Depth-24.7 FEET
Course Over Ground- 036°

What am I missing here? Even your chart indicates water in the mid20s for depth.

·
Registered
819 Posts
Speaking of sand bars, I saw this guy run on this one yesterday afternoon coming into the ICW in wolf bay. Came to a rather abrupt stop. Everyone seemed okay and the Leo was able to pull him off after a good bit of tugging.
Been there done that on that exact sandbar, except in January!

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I ran over the area several times to record the sonar for the area. That is why I am shown to be running in deeper water it was about my fourth or fifth pass over the area. I wanted to make sure the define the entire sandbar, which is shown in red. Sonar Chart Live is amazing. That sandbar is now permanently recorded on my Navionics Chart so I won't have to worry about hitting it again.

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
Thanks for the info Capt

Reactions: CaptHallie

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Something is still wrong with that picture. Your transducer is reading out 24.7 feet...but the chart indicates 7. Is it plotting the chart in feet or meters?

Looks like meters on the chart because 7 meters is 22.96 feet and your digital readout is 24.7 feet.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am running over 21 miles per hour and my transducer is on the back of the boat. You're looking at the chart in front of the boat. If you look behind the boat you will see that I passed over that depth just seconds before. This is why I do sonar charting live so the next time I run near that spot I will have an accurate chart of the area and know the exact depth before I get there and can avoid running aground.

There is a transducer that you can mount on the front of your boat that is called a forward scan transducer but I do not have that. I think it runs about $1,000.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts