Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question for all you smart anglers out there...

I fish mostly inshore and brackish water targeting mostly reds, specs, and strippers/sunshine. On MANY occasions, I've hooked into some really big fish, some I was unable to turn and some I fought for long periods only to lose the fish. I fish with older Abu Garcia 6000C/USA type tackle with my drags set tight enough to set the hook(s) but loose enough to allow the big ones to take all the line they want - up too 300 yards. My problem - HOOKS!!! They bend!!! I fish mostly top water w/ Heddon Super Spooks and similar tackle. Not the real cheap stuff. I've changed hooks on a number if occasions using most brands I find in any tackle shop/sports store.

My question: What is/are the strongest saltwater treble hooks that will hold up in a lengthy battle with a large fish and NOT BEND!!!

Thx...

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
Vmc 9626 ps

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I've used the red VMCs from Academy Sports on THEIR H2O cranks and they seemed to work ok. Haven't seen any of those lately. Stil looking...

Thx...

·
Registered
5,791 Posts
I use #4 4X strong for king rigs, never have straightened one yet. Sea-r-cy
X- 3 :) We use those for stinger hooks when King fishing tournaments.

I've got a Big O'l box of them in my shop. If you want to try some let me know. I'll give you some.

·
Registered
1,593 Posts
Gamakatsu #2 EWG trebles are excellent for super spooks. They are super sharp and will double your hook up ratio. I have never had a hook to straighten or break while fighting a fish. I have literally used the same super spook jr. for a whole summer catching dozens of fish without changing the hooks. I prefer the black ones to the red.

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Wow!!! Generosity. Been a very long time.

X-3. If I can't find some I just might take you up on your offer.

Many thx for the info and the reply...

·
Registered
2,079 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Not having any problems with slot size fish. But 35" + and my hooks bend.

I'm familiar with that Mustad line.

Thx...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts