Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my first year saltwater fishing, and it seems like I am never prepared for what happens. I was on my Jetski fishing the 3 mile bridge. Cut Minheaden on 1 pole and red jig white gulp on my brand new stradic 4000. I got what I thought was a hit on it, I pulled up and got about two reels in and the fish takes off. 100 yards of line was gone like that. I paniced, I should have unhooked my jetski and chased it down, but instead I tightened the drag and it broke... duh.. Of course it couldnt have taken the bait on my rod set up to handle a fish like that.

·
Registered
848 Posts
That's fishing for ya. You'll get better the more you fish. And some advice, It seems like the hardest thing, but try not to get over "excited" when you get a bite, that's how a lot of injuries happen by not thinking. We live and learn, sorry for what happen better luck next time!

·
Registered
54 Posts
Relax you will get the hang of it. But I am damn tired of feeding fish those Mirrodyne 17MR baits. Grrr don't use a leader and something with teethes takes it every time. Use a leader no bites!!

Allen

·
Topwater Addict
487 Posts
Fishing with the expensive lures does hurt when you get broken off. I just let them run and always keep a spool of line with me in my box. Worst case is he takes all the line and I don't catch him and I have to respool, which I do pretty regularly anyways as maintenance. Best case he gets tired and I can manage him and much easier boat side to handle a tired fish.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Fishing with the expensive lures does hurt when you get broken off. I just let them run and always keep a spool of line with me in my box. Worst case is he takes all the line and I don't catch him and I have to respool, which I do pretty regularly anyways as maintenance. Best case he gets tired and I can manage him and much easier boat side to handle a tired fish.
I would have loved to have been given that chance as that is what I usually do too and if I had gotten broken off WHILE fighting then that's okay too. I have been bitten off on the strike every time but one. That's the frustrating part.

Allen

·
Registered
806 Posts
no offense but u freshwater guys dont get it here we fish with reels that hold no less than 200 yds of line and a smooth drag even my 4lb reel holds 175 when u hook a big fish and it takes 50 yds why would u tighten the drag if anything comon logic should tell u as the spool gets smaller the drag pressure will increase so as u loose more line if anything let the drag off a little
and u guys talking about your line pooping funny i have fished the gulf almost 35 years and have caught most fish living there and that has never hapened to me i mean i have lost some due to not having the corect leader for a toothey fish i have had plenty of bottom fish chafe me off on structure and bust off and i have had my share of mechanical reel or drag failiers shit hapens yet my line never had fire crackers on it so it never as far as i know poped off

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Relax you will get the hang of it. But I am damn tired of feeding fish those Mirrodyne 17MR baits. Grrr don't use a leader and something with teethes takes it every time. Use a leader no bites!!

Allen
I have had this happen too.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
no offense but u freshwater guys dont get it here we fish with reels that hold no less than 200 yds of line and a smooth drag even my 4lb reel holds 175 when u hook a big fish and it takes 50 yds why would u tighten the drag if anything comon logic should tell u as the spool gets smaller the drag pressure will increase so as u loose more line if anything let the drag off a little
and u guys talking about your line pooping funny i have fished the gulf almost 35 years and have caught most fish living there and that has never hapened to me i mean i have lost some due to not having the corect leader for a toothey fish i have had plenty of bottom fish chafe me off on structure and bust off and i have had my share of mechanical reel or drag failiers shit hapens yet my line never had fire crackers on it so it never as far as i know poped off

No offense, but common logic should tell you to use a period after a sentence. I am aware that you fish with more than 200 yards of line on a reel because I own them. My post was admitting my inexperiance fishing in saltwater. I was not aware of the increase in drag pressure as the spool gets smaller. Thanks for the info. Congratulations on your 35 years of fishing.

·
Registered
806 Posts
ok u got me im horrible at typing and im sorry i hurt your feelings but come on u asked for fishing advise i gave u that i dont need your congratulations or critique go away get a life dont ask me for any advise good luck butler boy

·
Registered
54 Posts
Wow, weedline you sure know me eh? Freshwater guy... hmm I've been catching redfish since I was 4 yrs old in the Neuse River behind the Cherry Point E-Club in NC. I used good equipment and braid around structure. All my reels have at least 200 yrds capacity and several have 400+ yards capacity. I too know the difference between toothy fish and otherwise. I was airing a grievance that I have. I can't help that you've not had the same issue but at least one other has. So just take a chill pill we are all on here just having a good time.

Allen

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
on a different note
Butler im courious how you have your
jet-ski set up for fishing ...anything special?

Part of fishing is learning what works for every situation . You know next time time not to tighten the drag all the way and follow the fish some till it tires out.
your on the right track keep trying it will pay off .
good luck!

Few things I hate more then hooking a fish and not seeing it!!

·
Registered
637 Posts
Butler I know what you mean, losing fish with to much drag.Never fished from a jetski, but have fished from all types of boats, Use a heavier line till you get good at it. Steel leaders help when the fish have teeth.

Welcome to the PFF lotsa good info and experienced fishermen on here. Most are glad to give their two cents...

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
Man those jet ski's on off the hook show were something else 80-100 mile range was unreel and looked very cool.

I usually loosen the drag once clear of structure.

You can also practice what weight tension you are pulling by hooking your line up to a scale and putting pressure till you get the hang of how hard you should be putting on it.

·
Registered
5,780 Posts
Man those jet ski's on off the hook show were something else 80-100 mile range was unreel and looked very cool.

I usually loosen the drag once clear of structure.
man ima have to check that out

good point thats usually what I do when fishing bridges in my kayak . soon as it clears the bridge I loosen it and let the fish tire out dragging me around.
not sure it thats possible on a jetski..

·
Registered
1,873 Posts
This is my first year saltwater fishing, and it seems like I am never prepared for what happens. I was on my Jetski fishing the 3 mile bridge. Cut Minheaden on 1 pole and red jig white gulp on my brand new stradic 4000. I got what I thought was a hit on it, I pulled up and got about two reels in and the fish takes off. 100 yards of line was gone like that. I paniced, I should have unhooked my jetski and chased it down, but instead I tightened the drag and it broke... duh.. Of course it couldnt have taken the bait on my rod set up to handle a fish like that.
Anytime you lose one remember it becomes legendary "Yeah but the one I lost was a MONSTER".

1 - 20 of 30 Posts