Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Still a few months out from my boat purchase and trying to get the ducks in a row. Will most likely end up with a Carolina Skiff J16, either center console or tiller.

I'm still old school and like the foot control feel as its easier vs. a FOB or hand steer.

Mostly river / delta fishing.

Who makes them?

For that size rig, I'm thinking a 24 volt and 80 pound thrust setup due to the heavy tide swings here on the east coast.?.?

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,637 Posts
A 24v w/80# trust should do you good.
I have a Minn Kota 24v 70# Riptide w/fob on a fiberglass 17'cc. pulls it with ease even up river in strong currents. Using fob controlled TM, eliminates stepping on a foot control unit, and keeps you from losing your balance and falling or twisting an ankle. I didn't think I'd like the fob, but I now prefer it over foot or hand steer units.
The hardest thing was not to use the boat's steering wheel to steer the boat while running the TM. I kept turning the steering wheel in an attempt to turn the boat while in TM mode. LOL, but after a few days of operating it, and not sitting at the helm, I no longer make that mistake.

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,745 Posts

·
Center Mass at 300m
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks Kanaka, that may be the setup I'm looking for. Just trying to get ideas for now and wife gave the go-ahead to buy when the right boat comes along. For now, tire kicking is getting stronger.

Surfboard... yes! House is taking longer to get put together than anticipated so garage/project time has been at a minimum but the ideas are flowing.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
I agree about wanting the option for a footpedal. When I'm moving in and out of docks or pitching to shoreline cover I prefer not to have to take my hands off the reel every few seconds. Offshore, I prefer the fob.

My Minn Kota has the plug for the foot pedal as well, I had one for my old boat and used it a lot. My only complaint on the foot pedal was that it didn't last very long and this was back when I was in freshwater. I went through 3 different foot pedals over the span of about 5 years. That being said, if you take care not to get grime in the contacts and store it inside, it should probably do well enough.

Reactions: Stoker1

·
Super Moderator
29,692 Posts
I talked to Shannon at Andalusia marine about a foot control fer my Minn Kota....Its hard to bass fish with a remote!!!! I think he said the foot control was like 125 or so??? I still haven't got one yet though....

·
Jaded Old Phart
6,745 Posts
Gotta watch for the year of manufacture on trolling motor too. Seems to be 4 types of foot controls depending on year and models.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
On a J-16, I would stick with a tiller style. There is so little bow space that a pedal is gonna be a mess. Since the deck is small, unless your a tiny person, the tiller is always an arms length.

Just some food for thought.

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Hand tiller steer is much faster than electric motor controlled by fob, that's for sure. With the proper length / extension you can do a lot of it with a knee. Interesting point, I don't know the boat layout to have thought of considering physical space for the pedal.

·
Super Moderator
29,692 Posts
If you go with a tiller type like suggested, I recommend getting a "hot foot" its just a on/off button and will save the brushes in the speed dial of the head of the tiller. You mount it on the deck next to the troller and saves you from constantly twisting a tiller!

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
If you go with a tiller type like suggested, I recommend getting a "hot foot" its just a on/off button and will save the brushes in the speed dial of the head of the tiller. You mount it on the deck next to the troller and saves you from constantly twisting a tiller!
This is exactly how I had my J-16 setup. Well worth the $20 for the switch.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts