Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been overtaken by an interest in sailing. I've never really been interested, I guess just seemed... too slow for me. I don't know if its my age, or the fact I'm approaching retirement from the military, or having kids... but things are changing. Anyway, as I said sailing has consumed me. Cant stop reading and thinking about it.

A new ambition of mine is to buy and live aboard a big catamaran one day, if even for just a relatively short time; during which I'd like to at least sail around the Americas.

So, with the new ambition step one would be learn to sail :thumbup: I'm planning on taking the sailing class offered at NAS Pensacola this summer but am also looking at doing the ASA 101, 103, 104 certification with "Reef Runner Sailing".

I'd also like to find a sailing mentor (I don't personally know anyone that sails) and I'll need to buy a boat to learn on.

If there is any sailors around, I'd be thankful to chat.

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
My wife and I sailed allot in years gone past. We bought a 16' Compac Yacht for about $2800, with a 4 HP kicker. Our friends we bought it from took us out for a 2 hour lesson, and then literally jumped off the boat and swam to shore by the old Rod and Reel Marina. And left us to learn to get it back ourselvies. We loved it.

If you can not make the sail boat go the direction you want, start the engine, and motor the direction you want. Great way to learn.

It is a trailerable day sailer, it draws about 16-18 inches, fixed keel. I could set the mast at the boat ramp and rig it in 15 minutes, and then tear it down in 15 minutes. It is a 6 knot hull, and it is self righting. It is a great learner sailboat, for little money, and they hold their value, so re-sale is great.

Once we learned this one, we then moved to a 36' Beneteau.

In fact, I sold ours for $1000 more than what we paid, in 2004.

All boating is work, in a sailboat, you work while boating, depending in the winds. In a motor vessel you work to earn the money to pay for the fuel.

Here is a link to a comparable sail boat.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/1977-com---pac-16-j-sail-102549017

Old Flat Head Tom should be along shortly to add his 10 million dollar advise.

·
Registered
1,962 Posts
Take a look at the Catalina 22's you can find a lot of them at very good prices and there's several clubs for the 22 and even one over in the Orange Beach area that hosts races and over night club trips. But always remember Tiller Towards Trouble!!!

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I grew up on power boats, my dad hated sail boats with a passion. But once I got out of the military and working a regular job I got the sailing bug. I did like you did, read everything I could. Then I bought a Southcoast 22. I taught myself to sail. First time out on that boat we sailed 50 miles to get to the marina I was keeping it in. The motor lasted us for the first 5 or six miles then it gave up on us so it was either figure out how to sail the darn thing or hope the current carried us close to shore. Took me and a buddy 3 days to get it that 50 miles but by the time we got to the marina I had the hang of it and actually sailed it right into the slip, dropping sails as we glided it. Let me tell you, in August on the Chesapeake Bay there is NO wind between about 9am and 4pm...

After loosing the mast on a blustery day of hard sailing I retired that boat and got a 26 foot Columbia MKII. Absolutely loved that one. I lived on it for a year. It was very easy to sail and would sail extremely close to the wind. I single handed it many a day spending weekends in my favorite cove away from the hustle and bustle.

Fair warning... once you start sailing you will not be able to get enough of it. Just always remember.. Never give anyone a time you will arrive, just give them a day you will be there.. LOL! I would tell people I would be back to the dock sometime that afternoon or evening..

I had a trailer sailor for a while when we first moved here but it was a pain to set up and we didnt use it as much as I thought we were cause of that. If I could afford another one and afford slip fees, I would have another one now.

Great thing with my Columbia was we would take 2 weeks vacation every year and sail the chesapeake bay. I had a 6 gallon gas tank. After two weeks when I got back to the marina I still had 3 or more gallons left in that tank.

Reactions: oldflathead

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice! Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna check this out this weekend: https://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/5954725486.html

I'm thinking this has what's needed to get me started. I did consider spending a bit more (10-15k range) and getting something that would satisfy me a bit longer, however at this point it's still an assumption that I'll actually enjoy sailing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
Nice! Thanks for the replies. I'm gonna check this out this weekend: http://pensacola.craigslist.org/boa/5954725486.html

I'm thinking this has what's needed to get me started. I did consider spending a bit more (10-15k range) and getting something that would satisfy me a bit longer, however at this point it's still an assumption that I'll actually enjoy sailing.

Thats a nice one there and would be easy to learn on. Plus it has roller furling which will become your new best friend..

·
Registered
400 Posts
We did the beginner class at the navy base and had a blast. The first class is about half class half sailing but you do everything yourself. Everyone gets their own sunfish and you go at it.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
I see you are considering sailing lessons at NAS. They have sailboats for rent, so you could rent until you learn a little of what you want in a sail boat. I learned on a sunfish, went to a 23 ft, then to a 37ft. What you plan to do , day sail, overnighters with the family, vacation trips all will determine what type and size.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Awesome! Thanks for those specs. It actually comes with a small outboard (Suzuki 2hp).

·
Registered
13,755 Posts
Awesome! It actually comes with a small outboard (Suzuki 2hp).
Then that is what you need to learn with, put up the sails, crank the motor, and you will look like an awesome sailor day one Hahaha.

I guess you found out about the motor when you called, as it is not listed in the CL add.

That is a great find.

·
Registered
2,288 Posts
Sailing & Fishing Old Guy

I have been sailing since 1960. Tried it and loved it. Raced on other peoples boats Long Beach, CA. Got my own 8', 13', 17', 20' 22' 25', 36' & 46'. I raced, cruised, won the Cal 25 Nationals in 1972 and many more races. I taught sailing at USC and here at the old WM on Barrancas, plus private classes on request. I began my seminars saying, " I don't care how good you think cruising is going to be - It is BETTER"

We bought our Cal 46 in 1982, raced and a few short cruises, then retired and sailed away from Long Beach May 1988, two years in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama. We then did the Panama Canal, roamed around a total of 14 years and discovered Bayou Chico.

I have been a fisherman all my life, so I always had a line trolling when I was offshore. Come over and see my Sailfish mount. PM for my number and/or address. My wife and I will teach you and yours about sailing, cruising and fishing from a sailboat. No charge, but I do love Yuengling.

Semper Fi, Tom AKA Old Flat Head

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have been sailing since 1960. Tried it and loved it. Raced on other peoples boats Long Beach, CA. Got my own 8', 13', 17', 20' 22' 25', 36' & 46'. I raced, cruised, won the Cal 25 Nationals in 1972 and many more races. I taught sailing at USC and here at the old WM on Barrancas, plus private classes on request. I began my seminars saying, " I don't care how good you think cruising is going to be - It is BETTER"

We bought our Cal 46 in 1982, raced and a few short cruises, then retired and sailed away from Long Beach May 1988, two years in Mexico, Costa Rica, and Panama. We then did the Panama Canal, roamed around a total of 14 years and discovered Bayou Chico.

I have been a fisherman all my life, so I always had a line trolling when I was offshore. Come over and see my Sailfish mount. PM for my number and/or address. My wife and I will teach you and yours about sailing, cruising and fishing from a sailboat. No charge, but I do love Yuengling.

Semper Fi, Tom AKA Old Flat Head

Thank you very much Sir. I messaged you

·
Registered
167 Posts
Sounds like you have a great offer for learning to sail. I would still go for the ASA certifications including the ASA114 which is the coastal cat cert. It would be a fun week on a larger catamaran and the cost is about the same as a weeks vacation. You live aboard and meals are included. Other than sailing you will practice picking up moorings, docking and MOB drills on a twin screw boat. You will go through the drills of how to check out a boat when you charter one, and what to expect from your check out captain upon arrival for the charter. With your ASA cert. card there are no further questions regarding your ability to handle the boat you are chartering, meaning you can save time not having the demonstrate to the check out guy that you can operate the boat. I've heard that some Moorings locations around the world now require this, but, I am not sure about that one. Good luck and enjoy sailing.

·
Registered
9,925 Posts
I learned to "sail" at a summer camp on PNAS. Well, sorta, we were kids so as soon as we discovered how much fun it was to lay a sunfish over until it dipped the sail that's about all we did, then stood it back up and repeat:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,772 Posts
There is a book out there named "One Hand for yourself, one for the ship" written by a guy named Tristan Jones. I had the bug and read everything I could but this book really stands out. Really dry reading, but very much worth your time. Shame I never followed through with it but the itch is still there and I only have 3 years left till retirement so you just never know......
If it ever happens, I thinking of starting out with a McGregor 27

1 - 20 of 26 Posts