Pensacola Fishing Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Congrats. I want to try sailfish to see how it is. I know there is going to be a bunch of angry individuals about killing it but if they are legal who cares.

·
Registered
3,145 Posts
There was one caught at the Pensacola beach peir a couple days ago the beached it and was supposed to be serving it at the restraunt that night. It's on there fb page

·
Registered
7,803 Posts
I agree with keeping it if you want. I don't agree with gaffing it , calling a friend, finding out the legal length, then measuring it to find out it was just legal. Turned out lucky that it measured or it would have been wasted.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
If it's a trophy to you, and you want to keep it and it's legal, I have no problem with that.

Congrats to them for catching their fist bill!

·
Squid technician
10,506 Posts
Atlantic sailfish stocks are perhaps the healthiest of all billfish. As long as it isn't hung up for pics and then thrown in for crab bait, then good for them.

Congrats to them

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
I agree with keeping it if you want. I don't agree with gaffing it , calling a friend, finding out the legal length, then measuring it to find out it was just legal. Turned out lucky that it measured or it would have been wasted.
I completely agree.

·
PrettyAwesomeWhiteGuy
1,503 Posts
If I catch a legal sail, I'm keeping and mounting it. The space above my fireplace has already been reserved for the mount.

·
Registered
447 Posts
If I catch a legal sail, I'm keeping and mounting it. The space above my fireplace has already been reserved for the mount.
I don't think they actually mount the billfish, I believe they are some kind of plastic.
If it's legal and you want to keep and eat it, go for it.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Yeah what they did made no sense. Why would you gaff a fish if you had no idea that it was good to eat or the minimum size limits. Turned out fine in the end since it was legal and they intend to eat it so no big deal. Just should have been more "prepared" and knowledgeable in the first place.

·
Registered
246 Posts
Atlantic sailfish stocks are perhaps the healthiest of all billfish. As long as it isn't hung up for pics and then thrown in for crab bait, then good for them.

Congrats to them
Agree, Congrats to them.
Chris have you ever eaten one? Or any billfish for that matter? I have not but know that it is eaten around the world.I would love to try it....bucket list..... but I do not see us killing one just to eat it. Just wondering how it was. I will be there for Thanksgiving so we need to hook up and fish. I dont care if it is for pin fish....You are the guide!
Superchicken

·
Registered
202 Posts
Yeah what they did made no sense. Why would you gaff a fish if you had no idea that it was good to eat or the minimum size limits. Turned out fine in the end since it was legal and they intend to eat it so no big deal. Just should have been more "prepared" and knowledgeable in the first place.
X2

Something no one has mentioned yet....they were:

"four former Dauphin Island Sea Lab students"

"temporary research assistant with the Alabama Marine Resources Division"

"That's why when John McFadyen Jr. of Dauphin Island found out he'd have a long weekend off from his marine sciences studies at the University of Alabama... "

Really?!? Those may just be the "scientists" that "advise" our NMFS yahoos one day!?

·
Registered
1,419 Posts
Not all marine scientists act like this. I fish with a scientist (going for his PhD currently) frequently in south La and he is quite the responsible fisherman. The majority of times it a catch and release type day. This past weekend, we managed to get a little bit of fishing in and only kept the ones that would no have made it (hooked in the gills, etc). I would estimate we hosted close to15 reds per day between the 3 of us for 3 days and only kept 4 total. Don't let these boners think poorly upon the profession - what they did was completely irresponsible.

Here's the 4 we kept:

Fish Fish Tilapia Seafood Mullet

Fish Fish Nepenthes

·
Registered
202 Posts
No all marine scientists act like this. I fish with a scientist (going for his PhD currently) frequently in south La and he is quite the responsible fisherman. The majority of times it a catch and release type day. This past weekend, we managed to get a little bit of fishing in and only kept the ones that would no have made it (hooked in the gills, etc). I would estimate we hosted close to15 reds per day between the 3 of us for 3 days and only kept 4 total. Don't let these boners think poorly upon the profession - what they did was completely irresponsible.

Here's the 4 we kept:

View attachment 63076

View attachment 63077
You are right and I don't.

There are idiots in all walks of life. It just seems the Governmental kind have an over abundance of them!? Lol.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts