Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The recent post got me thinking about this. I used to be up there without a care in the world. 25' hangin' on the side of a tree with no safety harness. I wore one once and now am scared to death if I forget mine in the truck. I'll even take the time to go back and get it. I can't climb or sit without it. It's constantly on my mind if I do.

It only takes a split second to make a mistake and fall or have a treestand break or slip. You'll never know what happened and be on the ground before you know it. A lot of us hunt places that no one knows where we are exactly. It could be a day or two before you're found. Can you imagine being unconcious or paralyzed lying there on the ground, in the cold and dark. Not to mention the posssibility of the hungry coyotes finding you if you can't move or are unconcious. What if you just simply fell into an antbed and lie there for a few hours. Anything could happen. Use your imagination.

If you don't wear one, think of your kids,wife or Mom and Dad having to come look for you and finding you lying there, hopefully in one piece and alive.

Now think if you fell and they come find you hanging there from your harness waving saying "Somebody please get me down from here."

DO YOURSELF AND EVERYONE YOU KNOW AND LOVE A FAVOR AND WEAR YOUR HARNESS. THEY'RE NOT THAT EXPENSIVE AND EVEN COME FREE WITH A NEW TREESTAND THESE DAYS.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Great post I wear one every time I get in the stand. I had a 20 foot ladder stand break and I went crashing through the trees luckily didnt get hurt just shook me up a little Rammer Jammer was hunting a few hundred yards away and heard it.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
If you have one of the older ones that go around your waist they are just as dangerous as not using on at all. I know of someone on Eglin a few years back that had one on and litterally suffocated to death with one, especially if you are older and out of shape. I climb 30 feet and do not use one. I fell out of a wooden older ladder stand that collapsed and I hit on my feet and rolled sideways and I was fine. Not that I recommend trying it.

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I'm just watchin VS on TV and there was a commercial with Jeff Foxworthy talking about always using your harness and they pan up the tree where T-Bone is and tells him to step out of the tree. Now T- Bone is one big dude. and when he steps out the tree fall over to the ground and Jeff runs over to T and said see your saftey harness really worked it is still attached to the tree

·
Registered
102 Posts
lobsterman (12/6/2007)If you have one of the older ones that go around your waist they are just as dangerous as not using on at all. I know of someone on Eglin a few years back that had one on and litterally suffocated to death with one, especially if you are older and out of shape. I climb 30 feet and do not use one. I fell out of a wooden older ladder stand that collapsed and I hit on my feet and rolled sideways and I was fine. Not that I recommend trying it.
:nonono Thirty feet and you don't wear one???? Crazy!

·
Jiggin Finatic
8,548 Posts
I know for an absolute fact I am 30 feet up because my pull rope is exactly 30 feet long and I usually pull my bow or gun to where it is standing up but not in the air. I just don't like the constant tugging at the straps. I probably should start wearing one, because a 30 foot drop would be a major bummer at my age. They tell me it is not the fall that gets you but the sudden stop at the bottom.

·
Registered
913 Posts
Also need to be careful when climbing up a guy I hunted with a few years back was climbing a metal ladder stand and slipped on some frost and fell on his back he is still having back problems after a couple of surgery's

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Falls 6' and under can kill you, just think about 30'. There are some astounding stats on death and falls. Check'em out on OSHA's site.

·
Registered
340 Posts
lobsterman (12/6/2007) I fell out of a wooden older ladder stand that collapsed and I hit on my feet and rolled sideways and I was fine. Not that I recommend trying it.
<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');"><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%"><TBODY><TR><TD class=SmallTxt width="80%"><DIV id=_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer onmouseover="InstantASP_OpenMenuMouseOver('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');" style="DISPLAY: inline" onclick="InstantASP_OpenMenu('_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName','_ctl1_ctlTopic_ctlPanelBar_ctlTopicsRepeater__ctl3_smAuthorName_SimpleMenuDivLayer','<table width=100% class=PanelBar_OuterTable cellspacing=0 cellpadding=0><tr><td><table width=100% cellspacing=1 cellpadding=7><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>View Member\'s Profile</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light>Add to Buddy List</tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendPrivateMessage\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Private Message\'>Send Private Message</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butSendEmail\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Send Email To Member\'>Send Email To Member</a></tr><tr><td class=TableCell_Light><a href=__doPostBack(\'butShowMemberPosts\',\'136\'); onmouseover=\'window.status=window.location;return true;\'; onmouseout=window.status=\'\';return true; Class=\'SmlLinks\' Title=\'Find All Member\s Posts\'>Find All Member\'s Posts</a></tr></td></tr></table></td></tr></table>','165px');">lobsermanI bet you had to clean youshorts out after that one you are a lucky man. Do any of you use the hunter saftey system fall harness</DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></DIV></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

·
Registered
1,443 Posts
I ALWAYS wear one...my son is too precious to leave without a dad. I also take a 3/8 rope that is knotted every foot and when I get set up I tie it to the tree...that way if the stand does fall and I'm hanging by a safety harness I can lower myself down. Not everyone can climb a rope but most can let them selves down one. I heard this idea from a game warden in Alabama.

·
Registered
3,392 Posts
If I am in my climbing stand I always wear one. The 15' ladder stand I hunt out of sometimes has a rail around it so I don't in that one. I am not shy about wearing it in a regular stand however.

·
Super Moderator
28,603 Posts
hydraporter (12/6/2007)
lobsterman (12/6/2007)If you have one of the older ones that go around your waist they are just as dangerous as not using on at all. I know of someone on Eglin a few years back that had one on and litterally suffocated to death with one, especially if you are older and out of shape. I climb 30 feet and do not use one. I fell out of a wooden older ladder stand that collapsed and I hit on my feet and rolled sideways and I was fine. Not that I recommend trying it.
:nonono Thirty feet and you don't wear one???? Crazy!

:doh:doh:doh:doh:doh I won't tell you how far I usually climb up a tree then:doh:doh:doh Only fallen outta 1 stand and that was a wood ladder that rotted and made me crash from 12-14 feet...I should use a safety harness and maybe I'll eventually get 1:banghead

·
Registered
210 Posts
We hunt private land and leave our climbers attached to treesand have a Safety Harness attached to everyone. Wear them going up while in it and on the way down. Gives me peace of mind so I can enjoy my self plus I dont want my buddies or my self to fall.. Just makes sense to us..... Safety first then on to the hunt....

·
Registered
94 Posts
I used to never wear one when I first started hunting in trees, but onceI got used to them now I always wear my harness while in my climber. I don't wear it in the ladder stand but I really should.

It's the unexpected landing from a fall that'll get you!!

·
Registered
2,312 Posts
The Hunter Safety System is the way to go - takes about 5 seconds to put it on, and you forget you're wearing it. If anybody does NOT have a 3-point or 4-point safety harness, I have about three or four of them, (they come with every stand you buy) - I will give you one for FREE. Just PM me.

Ed

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I now wear mine!!!!Thanks to the people on the forum....:bowdown:toast....Got one with a retractable hook.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I halve to wear a5 point harnes working shutdowns and I was told in a safty video most of them ar only goweing to save you about 5 minets most of the time you cant breat in one after a fall thats jest what I was told

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
I was hunting in Georgiana a few years ago with a friend from work. His son called me on the walkie talkie to tell me his dad had fallen out of the tree. The tree stand broke out from under him. He fell 40 ft and broke his back and a few other things. What an awful experience to have to go through waiting on an ambulance while your friend lays there in agony. As for me now. I never leave the ground without one

1 - 20 of 22 Posts