Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
US ARMY 2d ID VETERAN
3,271 Posts
^^^ Oh yeah, definitely gotta have the beer, several cases or so. You just never know. ^^^

·
Registered
501 Posts
Get SOLAS flairs, etc, instead of those toys they sell for basic flairs, and offshore life vests instead of those $5 specials for the bay

·
Registered
40 Posts
I typically fish from 25 miles to 70 miles offshore. Many times I go by myself especially this past year with COVID. Here is what I carry for safety equipment
1) Ditch bag
2) EPIRB
3) PLB
4) VHF radio
5) Handheld VHF radio that I keep in the ditch bag
6) Garmin inReach mini
7) Radar for thunderstorms and for when I run out in the dark
8) XM Satellite for summertime thunderstorms
9) Handheld bilge pump
7) First aid kit
8) Small bolt cutters to cut embedded hooks
9) Extra water that stays in the ditch bag
10) Water proof flash light
11) Strobe type lights that attach to life jackets
12) File a detailed float plan for every trip
13) The required Coast Guard goodies ( air horn, fire extinguisher, flares, etc)
14) Self inflating life jackets

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
501 Posts
In 1979 (I think), there was an offshore sailboat race in England hit by a (really) bad storm. A number of boats sank and 19 people died (including rescuers or spectators). After that, the issues of boat (sailboat) stability was studied. They had sacrificed stability for speed (ever heard that?). US Sailing then compiled their "Safety at Sea" seminars for long range cruisers and offshore racers. It's required for long races.

If you ever get at chance, take it. Although it's targeted at sailing, about 80-90% is transferable to powerboats. There are only certain approved course masters and when I hosted one in 2014 he was a participant of the 1979 race and author of a book about it (1980 – Fastnet, Force 10. New York: Norton. ISBN 0-393-03256-6) I think it is still the deadliest offshore race: 1979 Fastnet race - Wikipedia For interest look also at: 1998 Sydney to Hobart Yacht Race - Wikipedia

·
Registered
367 Posts
I typically fish from 25 miles to 70 miles offshore. Many times I go by myself especially this past year with COVID. Here is what I carry for safety equipment
1) Ditch bag
2) EPIRB
3) PLB
4) VHF radio
5) Handheld VHF radio that I keep in the ditch bag
6) Garmin inReach mini
7) Radar for thunderstorms and for when I run out in the dark
8) XM Satellite for summertime thunderstorms
9) Handheld bilge pump
7) First aid kit
8) Small bolt cutters to cut embedded hooks
9) Extra water that stays in the ditch bag
10) Water proof flash light
11) Strobe type lights that attach to life jackets
12) File a detailed float plan for every trip
13) The required Coast Guard goodies ( air horn, fire extinguisher, flares, etc)
14) Self inflating life jackets

Hope this helps!
agree with the above...I'll add a number of tools, hose clamps, extra hoses, fuel filters, some pieces of pool noodle (which can be used to quickly plug holes)
If you consistently fish offshore, safety is not only a priority, it should be your main priority for you AND your guests onboard. Create a float plan each time you go and notify more than one person where you'll be, what time you leave and when to start worrying if you don't return on time. I carry a "Spot GPS tracker" similar to the inreach which my wife or others can track my trip live as well as text back and forth. An E-PIRB is extremely handy too in case the boat does go down for some reason. A lot of people I know throw a cooler of beer in the boat and just go...I'm not that guy. Before we leave the dock, we have a safety meeting where I'll show all of the safety equipment and discuss what happens in the case of an emergency.

·
Registered
716 Posts
is TowBoatUS or Sea Tow a better option for our Pensacola / Orange Beach area?
Tow Boats US is fine.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts