Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there a specific size and color y'all seem to have the best luck with? What size weight seems best? I think I've asked this before in other threads, but don't think I ever got a straight answer. I've never been very successful in catching my own bait, but this will also be the first year that I've had a fish finder on the yak.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I use the "Hayabusa Hage-Kawa Sabiki Hot Hook Bait Rig" size 6 with the red heads... they seem to work well. Like the above post said, always use a heavy weight to keep the line from getting tangled when you do catch several bait fish.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I prefer them on the smaller size and try to keep the weight as small as I can get away with. Typically use 1 oz pyramid or a smaller dropshot weight. I've had bigger weights scare away bait before, but as soon as I dropped down the size started catching them again.

·
Registered
568 Posts
We use a variety of sabiki rigs, but the key is to tip them with small pieces of shrimp or squid! The bait will go nuts on them!!!

·
Registered
5,602 Posts
We use a variety of sabiki rigs, but the key is to tip them with small pieces of shrimp or squid! The bait will go nuts on them!!!
Seems like a colossal waste of time to me, unless I'm targeting pin/pig fish. For bait like cigs, hardtails, Spanish sardines, etc it's not worth baiting those hooks as they hit em just fine.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Would some small pieces of frozen cig have the same effect? I always have frozen baits, but never shrimp or squid.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Another tip if they are up top and you are spooning them with your weight (that's pretty rare as usually they don't care) throw past the school, close your bail and let the rig "swing" back into the school.
I have run into this a few times. Cause until now without a fish finder I could only ever fish for bait that I could see. Thanks

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
When they're on top, clip a big bobber onto the swivel. Learned that down souf. Works wonders on ballyhoo.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Looks like you've got lots of advice so try it all next time and see what works best for you. I'd like to add, bring a 1/2-1ft piece of pool noodle with you to wrap the rig around and stick all the hooks into it. It keeps things nice an reasonably organized and allows you to even reuse the sabiki next time if you rinse it with freshwater.

Though the main reason is when (NOT "if") you get dumped in the surf. Sabiki's have A LOT of hooks that you really don't need to be worrying about if you're in the water fighting with the waves knocking your kayak around.

Good luck!
Alex

·
Registered
66 Posts
Another really simple tip if your having a hard time catching bait fish with the sabiki is try tipping the hooks with little pieces of gulp shrimp, it works awesome if they don't want to eat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts