Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

201 - 219 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
114 Posts
It's pretty simple to me. If you're charging someone to go catch fish you belong in the 51% group. Any Joe with a boat and GPS can drive right out to the fish, kill 'em and call himself a pro fisherman to his customers.If it's too hard go get a real job vs screwing the rest of us that only getto do it on the weekends.

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #203
By the fish and length and location ; Using Electronic log books Via the VMS monitoring system

Nothing to do with total allowed catch: I am sure TAC will still be measured by the pound Don't know?

·
Registered
128 Posts
Commercial fish are calculated by gutted weight as they are brought to market gutted. Rec fish, which includes for-hire fish are measured by length and weight on random dockside interviews. Since they are primarily weighed in most locations as whole fish, the total weight for the harvest is calculated by the randomly selected dockside interviews and the stock assessment scientist then use a length/weight table to determine the total weight for the fishery. The commercial catch is then multiplied by a conversion factor to calculate what the weight would be as a whole weight. That way both sectors fish are then listed as whole weight for purposes of determining the level of harvest compared to the total allowable catch (TAC). In any future rec data system, the weight and length will still be determined by the random dockside interviews, they propose to increase the number of dockside interviews and how the interview will be conducted to account for more interviews to see more fish.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Eugene, you need to check on some of your facts on fwc and nmfs fish studies. The camera thing is exactly what they did. I know someone on here had the link to the study done over the last 5 or 6 years. A number of sites were put down in Pensacola's East LAARS.A mix of reef balls, pyramids, etc. were used and studied several times a year for several years. Their prefered method, so as to disturb the fish as little as possible, was to use a camera that panned a certain sized cylinder shaped area for a given amount of time. Then they went back and counted fish. It was a neat study to read right up until they started drawing conclusions. There were many assumptions made for what wasn't seen, and that's where it got bad. If you read the study maybe you'll understand that these fish kissers don't even remotely have enough data to figure anything. And if you think their counts of fish caught on your boat are going to help the situation, you're dead wrong. I contend that an accurate count will hurt us, and you will still have no true representation of what's left in the water. Withouta good assesment of what's in the waterall data collection is like trying to figure out how many women you might have gone out with in college had you "tried harder". Good luck.

P.S. Since you want to catch all the fish your history entitles you to, maybe we recs need to make sure we do our best to make sure you don't fish any of our private reefs, reefs which have been publicly funded, rigs, etc. You know how ugly fights over private spots have gotten over the years. Maybe we work to make rigs and most natural bottom a sanctuary until the fishery recovers.

Chris

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #206
Chris you contend that an accurate count will hurt us, and you will still have no true representation of what's left in the water. Without a good assesment

What is a Good assessment in your view this camera deal send link.

Never mind i don't want the link study went bad. Chris :baby:baby

As far as reefs go I have Built More For Myself than you think is out there

And Ill bet i have been married As long as you have been alive If you want to call me dumb go ahead .

Trying to figure out how many women you might have gone out with in college

But You can't now You think I went to College may not have tried real hard but I went.

That is funny stuff considering I Quit High School in the ten Grade.
:doh:doh:doh:doh

Let Me know about all those college chicks STUD :looser

:sleeping

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Fairwaterfishing (10/28/2009)Eugene, As far as the IFQ and the S.O.S. plan is conserned I have a question.

Lets say the S.O.S. plan is implemented by the government. Just as it is now and nothing changed.

Would the charterboats get IFQs on fish themselves or will it be a deal where we get so many days we can fish and the IFQ is really a IDQ. (DayQuota)?

Will all charterboats get equal days and/or fish? Will it be more for the boats that fish 150 days verses a boat that fishes 70 days.

Will it be more fora multi-passenger over a 6 pack boat?

I think there would be multible problems with a IFQ system for charterboats, first all fish would have to be weighed, or will it be a number of fish deal and we just keep up with numbers.

As I take it now it will also cover all the fish we catch and not just red snapper so im really confused on how it might all come about. Whats your take on it.
It appears that the light bulbhas come on and the realization that in the future if enacted SOS will consolidate the charter industry into large operations where captains who used toown their boats will be boughtout andiflucky will getpaid to captain the boatthey used to own has set in.

Mark W

·
Registered
2,228 Posts
capt.eugene (10/27/2009)

Yes Sir I was not saying you can not do it/ I WAS SAYING BE CARFUL

From someone who works in the legal field I would say that is good advice as applied to anything. I would support any plan that would take trips away from the charter boats that support the S.O.S (Same Old S#%^&) plan. My boat won't run to the edge, but I can sure deckhand for free on thoseboats who would supportthis plan,and help defray the costs even further. Or, I will take my money and provide gift certificates for trips on those boats that do not support the plan. This is the way to win, hit them where it hurts...in their pockets.

·
Registered
173 Posts
<DIV class=Quote>biggamefishr (10/28/2009) <HR class=hr noShade SIZE=1>just a reminder to boycott the captains and vessels that support the SOS plan...theres a list of them in my signature.</DIV>

I'm in. Living in TN and knowing lots of contractors who like to entertain clients, I am often asked good boats to fish on. I hate to see some of the boats that I normally recommend backing the plan, but they will no longer get my recommendation.

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
heres another thought, what if we all went out and kept our normal limit of rs and ajs, could they possibly write EVERYBODY a ticket for it?

itd be like the prohibition era

·
Registered
2,380 Posts
BigBrandon (10/29/2009)heres another thought, what if we all went out and kept our normal limit of rs and ajs, could they possibly write EVERYBODY a ticket for it?

Probably not, but its like the ring leader in the movies who says to thevigilante, "You cant shoot all of us". Who wants to be first to get shot???

·
Banned
2,215 Posts
choppedliver (10/29/2009)
BigBrandon (10/29/2009)heres another thought, what if we all went out and kept our normal limit of rs and ajs, could they possibly write EVERYBODY a ticket for it?

Probably not, but its like the ring leader in the movies who says to thevigilante, "You cant shoot all of us". Who wants to be first to get shot???
true.. i dont get to offshore fish very often but when i do, dammit i should be able to keep a few fish without big brother stepping into it

201 - 219 of 219 Posts