Pensacola Fishing Forum banner

1 - 20 of 219 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Motion: to add options to the generic ACL/AM options paper to establish a for-hire sector complete with ACLs and AMs for all species that have commercial and recreational allocations.

Passed by huge majority! only 2 no votes

:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap:clap

:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag:usaflag

·
PDC Fishing Team
1,971 Posts
Stupendous! Give my regards to the CPA at the DIB. His contribution during the 7-11 at the Big 10 was phenomenal.

Do not let this victory rest on our laurels though. We will not stop until the ACC, NMFS and FWCC are MIA.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Eugene

Congrats on the big win.

Hope you will thinkof me and smile when you are out fishing with your customersand that fat loud mouthed useless tourist who wouldn't know what a red snapper was if it bit him on the arse pulls a 20lbin the boat.

I'llbe at the house looking at myhulk ofa boatrendered useless by government management and wondering how i can turn it into a big yard planter.

Mark W

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
So, in order to see this again on my son's face,

I will have to get on your boat and payyou? :nonono

I hope Karma is a wicked B!t#h. :shedevil

·
Banned
4,905 Posts
I'm not sure exactly how to say what I'm thinking here. Some people say that charter boats are in the entertainment business and they just transport recreational anglers there and back. I kind of disagree. The charter boats are a fishing business period, they provide the license and gear for customers. You want an entertainment boat try the Solaris out in San Destin. The numbers used to represent recreational anglers were gathered from charter boat docks in each geographic area and only a few in each area. I still haven't figured out how they can calculate how many fish were taken by recreational anglers by counting fish from a basically commercial source. When you are out there fishing catch and release and the only boats that are putting fish in the cooler or basket because they have a TAC quota and we have a short or closed season, look back with 20/20 vision and you'll see why. I wish I knew the answer that would make everyone happy but I don't. All I see is that I am gradually being cut off from recreational angling due to special interest groups, charter boats, commercial boats and tree huggers.

Kim

·
Registered
1,459 Posts
Congrats, you're one step closer to destroying recreational fishing! This is a big mistake for charter boats, in the long run you will destroy your own industry.

And by the way I find it shameful that you would come on this forum, filled with recreational fishermen andannounce your victory that hurts everyone else on the forum. I personally find it insulting thatyou believe we are so stupid that you can convince us that we're not being screwed while you screw us. Your only reason for being on this forum is to spread your propaganda. You mean to hijack the fishery, you are selfish and a liar.

·
Registered
1,091 Posts
thanks mcleod time sombody said it. I cant belive there hasnt been more of an uproar about this but it is football season and deer season so i think most people are going to really pissed next spring when the majority finds out what happened. But their aint not stopping big business are dumbass greedy bastartds but fear not their greed will do themin and be the undoing of fishing on the gulf coast they will all go the way of the new england cod comercial fisherman or the south atlantic sword fishing guys of the late 70s. greed ruined it all before and history has a way of repeating itself.

·
Your mom's a
6,790 Posts
capt.eugene (10/22/2009)
Motion: to add options to the generic ACL/AM options paper to establish a for-hire sector complete with ACLs and AMs for all species that have commercial and recreational allocations.

Don't go getting too wound up yet folks.

After a phone call this morning asking me about this vote, I looked into a bit and found out that this isn't a vote so much.

This move was passed in committee asa an optional alternative. Basically, they had A and B and this is now the C option. It's not law yet but it certainly is not good news for recreational anglers.

I could be wrong -- I haven't had my 2nd pot of coffee yet -- and I'll look into some more but i think this is merely a first step in the screw job, not the final push.

·
Praedator
9,927 Posts
JoeZ (10/23/2009)
capt.eugene (10/22/2009)

Don't go getting too wound up yet folks.

After a phone call this morning asking me about this vote, I looked into a bit and found out that this isn't a vote so much.

This move was passed in committee asa an optional alternative. Basically, they had A and B and this is now the C option. It's not law yet but it certainly is not good news for recreational anglers.

I could be wrong -- I haven't had my 2nd pot of coffee yet -- and I'll look into some more but i think this is merely a first step in the screw job, not the final push.
Thanks Joe,

That is what I was wondering. I could not find this info and was wondering if it was simply added as an option on the table. Everyone can still fight this crap. It's not law YET.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Is Omega/Will/Dont Panic/Desperado/ the same person? Seems like their antics are the same.....:bpts

Back to this thread, I am with Matt McLeod on this one. The SOS plan will help the charter industry in the short term, but long term benefits are quickly going to disappear. Keep at it Eugene......NOT!

·
Registered
3,381 Posts
Ok, I've been focused on hunting since they closed Snapper season, not fun explaining to the kids why we have to kill the snapper and float them for flipper rather than take their catch home.

What the HELL is S.O.S.? I keep hearing about it and capt.eugene posts like this is the best thing since sliced bread and then gets slammed by my recreational friends so I have to wonder and think this is not a good thing for me. :doh

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
69v

SoS plan and website link provided below. Key take away points in my opinion is that SoS plan breaks current recreational fishing sector that is now comprised of private boat owningcitizens and charter boats into two seperate and distinct sectors.

If SoS is implementedyou would have three seperate fishing sectors, thecharter boat sector, a commercial sector and an all other recreational sector.

The commercial sector already gets 51% of the total allowable catch for red snapper in the gulf.

The newly created Charter sector would take a portion of the recreational total allowable catch now available for private boat owning citizen's and charter together in order tosecure it for their group's business profit.The commercial's will keep their 51%.The charter share of the recreational sector would be largerthan what is left for private boat owning citizen's like you and me.

Not enough of the pie to go around.

read on, come to your own concusions and ask questions from there.

<SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal">http://www.saveoursector.com<SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold; mso-bidi-font-size: 13.5pt"><?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:eek:ffice" /><o:p></o:p><H2 style="MARGIN: 12pt 0in 3pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39">PLAN <o:p></o:p></H2><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 127.5pt; mso-cellspacing: .7pt; mso-table-lspace: 2.25pt; mso-table-rspace: 2.25pt; mso-table-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-table-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-table-left: right; mso-table-top: middle" cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=0 width=170 align=right border=1><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 0.75pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 0.75pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0.75pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 0.75pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent" vAlign=top><TABLE class=MsoNormalTable style="WIDTH: 100%; mso-cellspacing: 2.2pt; mso-padding-alt: 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt 2.25pt" cellSpacing=3 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 0; mso-yfti-firstrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P style="TEXT-ALIGN: center; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly" align=center><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Shortcuts<SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 1"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">What's Happening?<o:p></o:p></TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 2"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Getting Started<o:p></o:p></TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 3"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Achieving Our Goals<o:p></o:p></TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 4"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Proposal Summary<o:p></o:p></TD></TR><TR style="mso-yfti-irow: 5; mso-yfti-lastrow: yes"><TD style="BORDER-RIGHT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-RIGHT: 2.25pt; BORDER-TOP: #d4d0c8; PADDING-LEFT: 2.25pt; PADDING-BOTTOM: 2.25pt; BORDER-LEFT: #d4d0c8; PADDING-TOP: 2.25pt; BORDER-BOTTOM: #d4d0c8; BACKGROUND-COLOR: transparent"><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Contact Information<o:p></o:p></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; mso-element: frame; mso-element-frame-hspace: 2.25pt; mso-element-wrap: around; mso-element-anchor-vertical: paragraph; mso-element-anchor-horizontal: column; mso-element-left: right; mso-element-top: middle; mso-height-rule: exactly"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We are seeking better management for the for-hire group of recreational fishermen, which will begin with better data on and accountability for the number and type of fish caught. These are two goals that both private anglers and for-hire businessmen have wanted for years.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Read the plan below or download it here.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="FONT-SIZE: 13.5pt; COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Exploring a New Direction to Improve
<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">For-Hire Red Snapper Fishing
<SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><A name=WhatsHappening><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">What?s happening? ?</U></A><SPAN style="mso-bookmark: WhatsHappening"><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </U><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The 2008 red snapper season was the shortest on record. This was due to the NMFS?s commitment to making sure that all sectors stay within their allotted allocation. Additionally, new government accountability measures will require that any future overages are compensated for, which could result in even shorter seasons in the future. The continued loss of fishing time and subsequent loss of business revenues highlights the desperate situation facing our industry.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">It has become clear that we must reevaluate the position of the for-hire recreational fisheries sector. If negative trends continue, we stand to lose all the investment and years of labor we have collectively put into making our profession an industry. <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Something has to change.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Until this year, many of us thought that we could get by with shortened seasons and fewer fish. Some of our industry leaders have even suggested the solution is the status quo and have promoted the continuity of the relationship we have with the private recreational fishers.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">This is no solution at all and the reason is simple: <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We are professional fishers who operateforprofit businesses. Both the National Research Council and the National Marine Fisheries Service agree on this point. Sure, we may all fall under the recreational sector allocation umbrella for fisheries management purposes, but we approach fishing from an entirely different perspective. Our opinion is simply that we can no longer afford to be attached to a recreational sector of unknown quantities, effort, landings and unregulated growth.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The time to become involved is <SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">now<SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> - <SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Several for-hire businessmen are exploring how to better serve our customers, count and conserve fish, and build equity in our businesses assets. We realize the consequences of inaction: longer fishery rebuilding, fewer fishing days, and lost economic potential for our businesses. Any profitable business must have stability so owners can plan for the future. It is imperative that we all take a leadership role in developing common-sense management options to obtain stability, sustainability and give us hope for a better future. The NMFS and the Gulf Council have both indicated that they are ready to roll up their sleeves and work for better management. We believe they will be receptive to an industry led effort to make positive change.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><U><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
<A name=GettingStarted><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Getting started -</A><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </U>
<SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">To begin, we want to develop a set of goals to guide our discussions and the development of this proposal such as:<o:p></o:p><UL type=disc><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Provide a reliable platform for the public to access and enjoy sport fishing. <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Improve service to customers with year-around access and the ability to custom-tailor trips. <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Build stability and equity in for-hire businesses. <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Achieve high accountability by counting all fish caught. <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Rebuild and maintain a viable for-hire fishery. <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Gain fair and equitable management. <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l2 level1 lfo2; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Increase industry control over management. <o:p></o:p></LI>[/list]<P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
<A name=AchievingGoals><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Achieving our Goals -</U></A><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </U>Changes in recreational management will require compromise by several parties, including our industry, and it will neither be easy nor pain- free, but it is an opportunity to put our industry back on track to recover what we have lost, rebuild our investment, and eventually recover equity in our fishery. There are a lot of steps to a new management program, including a proposal, Gulf Council plans, and implementation by NMFS. This is a daunting task, but the alternative ? the status quo - equates to nothing more than rearranging the deck chairs on the Titanic.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
<A name=Summary><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Here is a summary of our proposal:</U></A>
<o:p></o:p>
  1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Secure our allocation. <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We would begin by obtaining a ?control date? from the NMFS which would freeze the current percentages of recreational sector allocation between the private recreational anglers and the For-Hire Sector based upon landings history. We don?t want anything more than our fair share: only that what we have historically caught. Then we would obtain an agreement from NMFS that the percentages will remain fixed for a minimum of two years to provide enough time to get the proper monitoring tools in place by NMFS and the industry.
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Put monitoring tools in place. <SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">The next step is to decide what monitoring tools we want. For starters, we think just two: VMS and electronic logbooks. These tools will provide us the opportunity of real-time catch reporting and will determine, at a high level of accuracy, who is fishing and what they are catching.
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Professionalize the industry.<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> Monitoring tools such as VMS and electronic log books will give scientists and managers better data for management decisions and will give the industry accountability, so that when fish stocks rebound, the information can be trusted and catch levels can be increased. Increasing the fishermen?s role in data collection and management of the fishery will instill a positive stake in data collection and foster a proactive attitude and participation to further enhance fisheries management.
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Create a Red Snapper Endorsement.<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> As our new sector begins to collect accurate, real-time data through the implementation of VMS and electronic logbooks, a clear picture of who is dependent on red snapper for their livelihoods will immerge. This information can then be used to determine eligibility for any future management plan for the red snapper fishery. Fishermen who have implemented VMS and electronic logbooks and have snapper landings can then be given an endorsement for red snapper and will be eligible to participate in the fishery. Fairness is of utmost importance, whether you have been in business for 6 months or 50 years, have a six-pack boat or a party boat all participants start on the same date with the same access dictated by the NMFS current opening and closings that we are fishing under now.
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l1 level1 lfo3; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Support law enforcement.<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> Throughout this process, we will support law enforcement, which will authenticate our honesty in record keeping. Through VMS, enforcement officers can easily contact vessels and verify catch, and catch composition, with random, unannounced inspections. We support strict penalties including disqualification for anyone caught cheating or ?cooking the books.? We also encourage the apprehension and prosecution of individuals illegally conducting a For-Hire business. <o:p></o:p></LI>
<P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">
Hopefully, you?ll agree with us that failure to do nothing is certain failure. We welcome your participation in changing the current direction of our industry into a productive business where our sons and daughters have a future in the fishery.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p><H3 style="MARGIN: auto 0in; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold; mso-bidi-font-size: 13.5pt"><o:p></o:p></H3><H3 style="MARGIN: auto 0in; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="FONT-WEIGHT: normal; FONT-SIZE: 12pt; COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial; mso-bidi-font-weight: bold; mso-bidi-font-size: 13.5pt"><o:p></o:p></H3><H3 style="MARGIN: auto 0in; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></H3><H3 style="MARGIN: auto 0in; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">A letter from Capt. Gary Jarvis - August 2009<o:p></o:p></H3><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Thanks for checking out the SOS web site. I appreciate the fact that you care enough about your businesses to research for yourself what will be the best course of action to protect your investment in time, money and life's passion to become a professional fisherman. The whole time SOS has been involved together as individual Charter boat owners and Captains we have stayed true to the concept of truth and transparency. As we got together to try and formulate our individual ideas on a better course for the charter for hire industry to go in and bring it into a cohesive plan that would benefit all charter for hire fishermen, we knew that there would be resistance to our ideas on ways to make our plan even better. The SOS plan as it now is called, has continued to evolve as individuals like you have gotten involved with the politics of fishery management and helped formulate practical ways to improve the long term outlook for the Charter for hire industry.

We have, through the development of good ideas and hard work, gotten the Gulf Council to take a hard look at the unsuccessful status quo fish management practices to see if there was a better way to manage our fishery. The discussion about data collection, sector separation, catch shares and allocations has been the most proactive that we have seen in a quite some time. A new attitude on how to and how soon we can improve the fishery and the charter for-hire industry has given some of us o'l salts a glimmer of hope that our industry has a chance to benefit the next generation of men and women that want to work and make a living on the water.

Unfortunately, as one of the spokespersons for our plan, I have been the target of detrimental comments and accusations about my character , my professional abilities as a fisherman, and my associations with people and organizations, and even if I am the author of these agonizing one finger at a time e-mails and statements. The last accusation is the one that really hacks me the most, just to get this far in this letter has taken me about 25 minutes.

As we began this plan just 2 years ago we understood that it would be hard, time consuming, frustrating and at times, over our heads when it came the politics and procedures of the NMFS, but we were so desperate as businessmen that we began anyway. During the early process when we were communicating back and forth about different ideas and plans I wrote a few e-mails to the few captains I know about my ideas concerning the demise of our businesses. You can see one of themhere, I wrote them and made them public in Feb -March of 2007, that was about 8 months before we presented the SOS plan to the Ad Hoc Recreational Red Snapper AP panel in <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:eek:ffice:smarttags" /><st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">New Orleans</st1:place></st1:City>. A short time after, I sent those e-mails to Capt David Krebs of Arial seafood who then forwarded it to Pam Baker of EDF. Pam and David had worked together to come up with a plan to stop the insane fishing derby that was negatively impacting the commercial fishing industry.

In late June almost 4 months after my e-mails began our discussions and before we had our plan on paper, Jeff Barger who works with Pam at EDF contacted me and wanted to meet and talk and learn more about the ideas presented in my letters and to see if there were any common issues that we could combine resources on. He stated that our ideas not only had conservation oriented plans but that it was the first time that anyone in the recreational sector came up with ideas to be accountable for what they harvest and desired sound scientific applications to accomplish it. It was through these discussions and follow-up meetings that involved several captains from <st1:placeName w:st="on">Orange</st1:placeName> <st1:placeType w:st="on">Beach</st1:placeType>, <st1:place w:st="on"><st1:City w:st="on">Destin</st1:City>, <st1:country-region w:st="on">Panama</st1:country-region></st1:place> City and surrounding areas that gave rise to the SOS plan, a comprehensive plan to turn our ideas into a workable solution to the serious problems facing our industry.

If you have followed fish politics and know the difficulties and procedural applications that any group or person has to go through, it is easy to see that we need any advice we can get to speed things up because of the impending issues with ACL and AM's. And in these economic times we are in, any delays that could be avoided by making mistakes from lack of knowledge of the NMFS process is critical due to our industry withering away on the vine due to fishing regulations and the economy affecting our industry.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">In the fishery management process you will not have much success with the Gulf Council, NMFS or the environmental groups unless you have a sound conservation minded plan. Our plan is sound and with help from EDF we have stayed front and center with this council trying to resolve years of frustration to accomplish something that will benefit us. For this, those opposed to our plan have taken shots at me at a regular basis. I am now getting used to it but had to write this letter for those who desire to know the truth, these are the facts:<o:p></o:p>
  1. <LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">EDF came to us to offer help in putting a together a plan that they could support;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">We vetted them out and examined their track record. When it comes to helping fishermen make more money, fish more efficiently, and overall be more successful, their successes are well documented ? see for yourself, go to their web site ? www.edf.org;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">They gave us help only when we asked for it, they offered opinions, some we listened to other we did not;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have not received any paid salary or job compensation from EDF for my efforts, however, have squeezed some beers and a few meals out of Jeff for putting up with him;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">EDF has paid for travel expenses for some of us to go to <st1:State w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Washington</st1:place></st1:State> twice to meet with our elected representatives to help get our message across;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I have not asked you or anyone else for money to go to all these other meetings. All other expenses have been on my dime as well as the other SOS spokespersons who pay their own way. It has and continues to be expensive, but for me it is part of my cost to do business and protect our future;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Iwill not ask any of you to give me money, only to come and participate and share the work load to protect your business and customers;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I will continue to challenge all of you to get involved. It is time for you to fight your own fight. We ask for your support and will stand with you to protect our ability to be successful;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I will ask, and hopefully receive, help from any organization that has the improved health and well being of the fishery stocks AND those of us who rely on the healthy fishery in their interest;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">It will be above board and transparent and I make no apology for recognizing my weakness in certain knowledge and the lack of resources to battle the NMFS to save our industry;
    <o:p></o:p><LI class=MsoNormal style="MARGIN: 0in 0in 0pt; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; COLOR: #001a39; mso-margin-top-alt: auto; mso-margin-bottom-alt: auto; mso-list: l0 level1 lfo1; tab-stops: list .5in"><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">And that includes getting any for help for travel to go back to <st1:City w:st="on">Washington</st1:City> <st1:State w:st="on">DC</st1:State> or <st1:City w:st="on"><st1:place w:st="on">Tampa</st1:place></st1:City>, Port Aransas or wherever I need to go to talk to men and women like yourself to work to protect our livelihoods. <o:p></o:p></LI>
<P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">In my life as a husband, father, Captain and boat owner, volunteer high school wrestling and soccer coach, even a t-ball coach, I have always tried to use any and all resources that would help me be the best I could be at all of these endeavors. I have always relied on people who can or have the abilities to teach me or help me do good things for those who have put trust in me. Be it my wife, my Sons, customers, friends, or athletes. For all who have had contact with me and have wanted me to help them or rely on me, I have always taken this approach. Of course every time I try to go it alone failure is not far behind and my life partner and wife Pam will attest to this statement of fact. And this is how and why not only I, but the other charter for hire Captains that you see on our supporter list have made no apology for the relationship we have with EDF and any other organization that has come to support us and encourage us to move forward. And provide us with skills, resources or recommendations in this effort to move in a positive direction. For us, it only makes good business sense.<o:p></o:p><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial">I believe this should answer some of the accusations, more are sure to come, all up to now have been half truths at best most are out right lies. Whether it is jealousy, power plays, plain old fighting for as much as they can get or the lack of knowledge about the dilemma that we are in the things said about our efforts are far from the truth. In the future be careful what you hear and always talk to the person being accused. Please feel free to contact me directly - it is always best to check things out for yourself. And, as Paul Harvey always said, "And now you know the rest of the story.?

Capt. Gary Jarvis<o:p></o:p><DIV style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 1pt; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: windowtext 1pt solid; mso-element: para-border-div; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .75pt"><P style="BORDER-RIGHT: medium none; PADDING-RIGHT: 0in; BORDER-TOP: medium none; PADDING-LEFT: 0in; PADDING-BOTTOM: 0in; VERTICAL-ALIGN: top; BORDER-LEFT: medium none; PADDING-TOP: 0in; BORDER-BOTTOM: medium none; mso-padding-alt: 0in 0in 1.0pt 0in; mso-border-bottom-alt: solid windowtext .75pt"><SPAN style="COLOR: #001a39; FONT-FAMILY: Arial"><o:p></o:p></DIV>

·
Registered
263 Posts
I think that SOS stands for "same old shit" .....and of course our government supports it. Better wake up folks and start writing to your congressman and representative. You can stand back and wait for someone else to do something and they will........ they'll screw ya !!! .... or you can get off your butt for 5 minutes and look up some email address and send some emails, sign some petitions, or join some organizations to protect your rights.

We need to get organized and quickly.

·
Registered
541 Posts
<SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial; COLOR: #001a39"><P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">
<A name=AchievingGoals><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial">Achieving our Goals -</U></A><U><SPAN style="FONT-FAMILY: Arial"> </U>Changes in recreational management will require compromise by several parties, including our industry, and it will neither be easy nor pain- free, but it is an opportunity to put our industry back on track to recover what we have lost, rebuild our investment, and eventually recover equity in our fishery. There are a lot of steps to a new management program, including a proposal, Gulf Council plans, and implementation by NMFS. <P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">When exactly did the entire gulf of mexico and the resources there-in become "their" fishery. It is also "my" fishery. I dont remember giving up any portion of "my" ownership to anyone. I could also give a rats ass about someones commercial fishing business or charter businesstanking. I myself am a contractor and I am pretty certain that no charter captain or commercial captain gives a crap about the hard times that my business and almost all of the nations contractors are going thru. OUR resources are depleted for the sake of the mighty dollar and not replenished! Period! I believe that if we are to have any closure at all it should be everyone. I also believe that 51% of the catch going to commercial is absurd. This whole shortage of fish stocks seems to revolve totaly around the commercial demand for product. In other words if the comms could catch them all they would because they have buyers. Maybe the regulation should be on the amount of fish that can be caught and sold, not just caught. <P style="VERTICAL-ALIGN: top">Sorry this whole deal makes me just want to go become a fishin' outlaw!

·
Registered
9,692 Posts
Matt Mcleod (10/22/2009)Congrats, you're one step closer to destroying recreational fishing! This is a big mistake for charter boats, in the long run you will destroy your own industry.

And by the way I find it shameful that you would come on this forum, filled with recreational fishermen andannounce your victory that hurts everyone else on the forum. I personally find it insulting thatyou believe we are so stupid that you can convince us that we're not being screwed while you screw us. quote]

I agree 100%, I once thought we were all after the same thing. "Equal use and equal possession/protection of the resources" I see that thisas a step to seporate the people that have the desire to "use" our (oops, YOUR)oceans.

I will say this, I do not wish anything bad on anyone or any group of people. I once went on a charter, the charter was a horrible experience. I will never go on another charter as long as I have the ability to "fish on my own" not all are like this, however that's my thoughts and feelings.

Now how about constructive ideas to combat this? we are unrepresented in this fight (as I can see) and I think we need to band together before we lose the right and ability to go catch a bonito. ideas? I have already sent emails, but do you think that really works?

1 - 20 of 219 Posts